Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Default QQ - I Hate Overpairs

Haven't played much 5/10 in a while, but stumbled onto a sweet game this afternoon & couldn't resist sitting. Then, as is often the case for me when I get into a sweet game, I got smacked upside the head by offsuit crap. About two orbits into my table session, and this is literally the first hand I have played from outside the blinds (and even there, I've just check/folded the flop).

MP1 is a donk of the "any 2 will do" variety; he'll peel the flop with runner runner two pair draws on a pretty constant basis. I have Button as around 20/11/0.9 over a miniscule (50 hand) sample. SB is a LAG that I've matched up with often on the 3/6 tables.

I think it bears repeating that I haven't been playing the 5/10 game on Full Tilt, and so with the exception of SB, the only image that these players have of me is as the guy that's folded 20 straight hands.

So...what am I doing here?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (9SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.5BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero...?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: QQ - I Hate Overpairs

Call the turn. Donk a river 2. Check-raise a river Q. Check-call everything else.

We don't know enough about button to fold here confidently. You raised pre-flop and he raised the flop, and those things seem to eliminate a lot of the things that may be beating you. It's a set I'm worried about, maybe something like 76s. But a lot of players with his profile don't raise the flop if they hit a set. And he could be aggressive enough to be overplaying 88, 99, or something.

Folding now will also do bad things for your image. Folding 20 straight hands and then check-raise/folding the first hand you play will look very weak and might compromise some potential in an otherwise good game. That's a small consideration certainly, but makes me feel a bit better about a loosish call down.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM

I would have 3-bet the flop and led at the turn.

Playing as you did, I'm in a real quandry. Your line shows enormous strength and he's still raising! Bah, I'm calling it down. He could be growing overly fond of JJ or 88.

7:1 effective odds? I'm probably good around that much.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:46 PM

i don't like the turn checkraise given the drawiness of the board and the type of opponent we may be against. just 3bet the flop or call and donk the turn.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM

Re-raise the flop and check call turn and river. On the button 89 is possibility as will as Axs and Kxs. May have flopped a set and is raising because he is scared of the flush as well. May well have an overpair as well.....I think you have to pay this one off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 PM

I hate the turn check as I dont want to give him a free draw on a drawish board when a draw is a real possibility for him.

I think you pay him off here after he 3 bets. There is just too much chance he is semi-bluffing or that you have him beat.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Bet-call the turn. That so easily could have been a free card play on the flop. Unless I know something about villain, I'm c/c-ing river unless a Q or a 2 hit.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Wow. Okay, I was a little worried about a possible spades draw, but I figured that he would probably fire again on a blank turn even if he had that, trying to get me to fold AK/AQ/whatever. But really I had put him on a medium pocket pair from preflop on, and my plan was to check/raise any non-spade turn. Maybe just check/call an offsoot ace &amp; donk the river.

As far as 3betting the flop, I didn't want to get too tied to the hand in case the third spade did hit on the turn, but more importantly, I didn't want to convince him to fold a 2-outer immediately if that was what he had (and as I said, that's what I thought he had). Plus if he does have spades, he's probably just going to cap it anyway and all I end up doing is putting more bets into the pot without really knowing where I stand. He may cap with a flopped set as well, or he may wait to pop the turn....of course, I'm assuming he's a fairly typical opponent, which his numbers make him look like so far.

When he came back over the top, though, I was pretty well convinced that I was up against a set. Like I said, I hadn't played a hand yet at this table, and my bet/call, c/r line screams big overpair (which is why I'd probably have played big spades the same way). Which of course makes folding to the turn 3bet the proper move, and I knew that.

But, I suck at poker, so I called. River was the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]...what now?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM

I would pee my pants first, then I would C/R the river again after calling his 3-bet.

I have to say I really like your line (bet/call, check/raise), as I use it a lot when OOP when someone shows agression, but I hate when someone raises for a free card and I oblige them for one. It is my standard "I have a monster HU line" against someone who isn't likely to pay off very well(a decent hand-reader, for example.)

What did you do when you spiked the set?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I suck at poker, so I called. River was the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]...what now?

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r.