Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Depression and Religion

First of all, sorry if this topic has been talked about frequently, i am very new here and i browsed a few pages without seeing anything. So if it's been done just point me in the right direction and i'll delete.

I am an atheist, and have been from a very young age (around when i stopped believing in santa clause), but i am also battle depression and have been for the last few years. I constantly see religious people everywhere that worship some higher power outwardly appearing so happy and "fulfilled" like their life has some sort of deeper meaning. I believe religion gives people a lot of hope in a lot of hopeless situations, and that this in turn could lead to less depression amongst religious people vs. non religious people. Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Depression and Religion

It's true i think that you can gain hope when having faith in a higher power. Though if those hopeless situations are fought only with faith, things will crumble.
The source of your depression can't be fought with faith in a higher power.
You might be able to trick yourself for a while but eventually you need to understand things and correct them yourself.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM

i'd just like to state that my intention is not to start believing in god to magically cure my depression, that will not happen. I do not believe in god now, and i highly doubt i ever will. This thread was created for the reason to discuss depression and religion and whether religion helps eliminate depression.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 PM

I think it absolutely helps people hope who under other circumstances see none. I know that religious faith has a tremendous impact on stress and depression from seeing family/friends use their faith as a crutch when fighting through difficult times. It actually makes me a little jealous.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I constantly see religious people everywhere that worship some higher power outwardly appearing so happy and "fulfilled" like their life has some sort of deeper meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you're finding these people. If anything my experience indicates that depression positively correlates with religious fervor.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I constantly see religious people everywhere that worship some higher power outwardly appearing so happy and "fulfilled" like their life has some sort of deeper meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you're finding these people. If anything my experience indicates that depression positively correlates with religious fervor.

[/ QUOTE ]
can you elaborate? I know more depressed atheists than anything else. Religious people always seem to be happy to me (this is stemming from personal experience). Maybe it has to do with their belief of "fate"? Can you give some examples to re-enforce your point?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 PM

I've met plenty of messed up, depressed theists.

Not sure your methodology is meaningful.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM

I grew up in the Evangelical Christian community, and didn't know anybody who doubted the Incarnation until I was 19-20.

Maybe it's going too far to say I observed a disproportionate incidence of depression (although ~50% of my immediate relatives are at least mildly depressed.) However I certainly have no idea what you're talking about with the "fulfillment" or "deeper meaning."

Delusional? Sure. Dishonest? Yep. Insanely willing to demonize everyone who disagrees with them? Affirmative.

But Christians are no "happier" than anybody else, I'm pretty bloody sure of that.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

There have been several study's in the English media over the last few years (No I can't remember any specific examples, sorry) that claim religious people are happier. It has been stated as (Which one I can't remember) either the biggest corelating factor, or one of the biggest. Along with partners, succesful career etc.

It makes perfect sense to me.

I wouldn't sweat it though, really, really domb people are often very happy too.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There have been several study's in the English media over the last few years (No I can't remember any specific examples, sorry) that claim religious people are happier. It has been stated as (Which one I can't remember) either the biggest corelating factor, or one of the biggest. Along with partners, succesful career etc.

It makes perfect sense to me.

I wouldn't sweat it though, really, really domb people are often very happy too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if a christian would be happier living in a hostile religious ( say Iran) environment than the dominant religion. That's essentially the situation the atheist is in. The majority of anything has a leg up in happiness. It's no fun being a communist on wall street. Or a gay in a redneck city.
I've seen various polls but none that separated some of the corrupting factors.
Overall, atheists seem on solider ground, keeping in mind there is some self-selection going on. Theists are often drawn to belief because of various psychological issues they can't deal with if on their own.

luckyme