Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Buying a Navigation System

I am in the market for a navigation system. I like the garmin nuvi 350, but I would rather have the navigation system on my cell phone. Can you get a garmin quality navigation system on a phone? I currently have the motorola slvr, so I know I would have to buy a new phone which is fine. I saw on garmin's site they have something for cell phones but didnt get how it works. Does anyone know more about this? I would like to buy a new nice phone with the capability of having a garmin quality navigation system if that is possible rather than just something like the 350.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Buying a Navigation System

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the market for a navigation system. I like the garmin nuvi 350, but I would rather have the navigation system on my cell phone. Can you get a garmin quality navigation system on a phone? I currently have the motorola slvr, so I know I would have to buy a new phone which is fine. I saw on garmin's site they have something for cell phones but didnt get how it works. Does anyone know more about this? I would like to buy a new nice phone with the capability of having a garmin quality navigation system if that is possible rather than just something like the 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you deliver pizza? Perhaps you skipper a tug? No? These are toys with modest practical value.

I own a GPS for night boating when there's no moon and even then I don't use it anymore.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you deliver pizza? Perhaps you skipper a tug? No? These are toys with modest practical value.

I own a GPS for night boating when there's no moon and even then I don't use it anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, having a GPS is sweet as hell. Never have to plan ahead for trips, can easily find detours around heavy traffic, can do things randomly in the middle of nowhere (like find a driving range when you're out of town), etc.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude, having a GPS is sweet as hell. Never have to plan ahead for trips, can easily find detours around heavy traffic, can do things randomly in the middle of nowhere (like find a driving range when you're out of town), etc.

[/ QUOTE ]there are many reasons, the main one is that i just graduated college and will be moving from a small town to a very large city that i dont know my way around in.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]there are many reasons, the main one is that i just graduated college and will be moving from a small town to a very large city that i dont know my way around in.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, they def rule. sorry i can't really answer your question. i have a bare bones model (garmin c330, was $200 on frys.com), but it's pretty sweet aside from not having live traffic updates.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 PM

get a tomtom.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 PM

I've heard it's possible to use a bluetooth GPS receiver along with Google Maps/Windows Live maps on a Motorola Q or a Samsung Blackjack. Anyone know anybody who's tried this?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are wonderful crutches for folks that can't fathom a map, which is about 85% of gen Y. Their promise is much more than their realized value, unless you deliver pizza.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are wonderful crutches for folks that can't fathom a map, which is about 85% of gen Y. Their promise is much more than their realized value, unless you deliver pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

This simply isn't true. Maybe you're one of those hardcore old timers that would rather do things the way your grandpappy did them, but you're just wrong.

Sure you could have a huge foldout map in your car, but what about people that travel nationally? Carry tons of maps?

You're driving and your cell rings. "Hey its X can you pick me up, I took the subway here but I want a ride home. I'm at the corner of X and Y." You could get out your map, compass, protractor, tune your radio to the AM traffic station.....or you could just enter the intersection into your nav system.

You want to go somewhere. You can hop on google maps, type in the addresses and print out a sheet. Or you could enter it in your navi which will update your steps in real time, alert you to traffic and alternate routes as you go. Make a wrong turn? That piece of paper isn't going to update itself, but your navi will.

Sure, probably 90% of the time people are in there car they know exactly how to get where they're going, but its still a great system.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 AM

They rock. I can get on a plane from to anywhere in North America (or europe if you buy the add on maps), jump in my rental car and within seconds know exactly how to get to my hotel or other destination. often for work my boss will simply email me the address of a building I'll have to go survey it would be annoying to have to print out dozens of google maps per day, plus the gps will reroute you if you miss a turn.

I have the Nuvi 350, it's been awesome, but I don't see it having an advantage over the C340, unless you want to use it outside of the car (it's smaller and has pedestrian mode), and I've done this before. Also if you find yourself needing your current coordinates you can get them from the Nuvi, and not from the c340 (or so a coworker tells me)

I don't have any experience with the phone-based gps setups.