Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Vegas and free booze at poker table question

[ QUOTE ]
You can order the $25 a bottle bourbon as well as the $10 stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just used to NYC prices, but over here, $25 bourbon is no prize. You need to pay at least $35 for a 750ml bottle to get something decent like Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Untrue. Being a smaller hotel doesn't necessarily mean you won't get quality booze for free. All you have to do is ask. If she doesn't know for sure, give her an alternate in case they don't have it(or won't give it for free).

[/ QUOTE ]

All I said was:

"the nicer the place, the more likely they are to have better selection"

and I stand behind that statement. That doesn't mean you won't find some cheaper hotels with good selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehh, also:
[ QUOTE ]
Venetian, Wynn, and Bellagio are the only places to get higher end stuff like Grey Goose, Ketel One, Patron, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just used to NYC prices, but over here, $25 bourbon is no prize. You need to pay at least $35 for a 750ml bottle to get something decent like Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I don't know from bourbon. I was just making a comparison that you aren't limited to Jonnie Walker red or black or whatever color is the cheapest.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM

In my experience..............

Wynn will make and bring you almost anything you want. I'm sure they won't give you $100 drinks like Louie XIV, but I've seen people order cognacs that are typically $35 or so. If you order stuff that expensive, I'd tip a few dollars rather than just $1. They will make most, if not all, mixed drinks as well.

Bellagio and Venetian are barely less generous than Wynn and you can pretty much order anything.

Mirage is a notch below that. Ask, but they may say they can't serve you certain things.

Elsewhere, it just depends. Never hurts to ask. But expect to get told they don't serve Red Bull or Makers Mark at some places.

Like an earlier poster said, wait for the waitress to ask your table if anyone wants a drink and if you miss her, its your fault...wait until she comes around again. If things aren't busy(ie not a weekend evening) then its ok to approach her, apologize for missing her, and asking politely for XYZ drink and telling her where you are sitting. It's absolutely not ok to get upset and accuse her of ignoring you or complain you are losing so much money and can't even get a drink, LOL. It's a sure way to get further ignored, or get saliva or worse in your next drink.

In Los Angeles, you have to pay for drinks. Drink service in Commerce low limit section is slow because the waitresses are so busy. Some are really nice, just too busy. Bike cocktail waitresses are fastest of any card club in LA, in part because they are not assigned specific areas and in part because fewer people drink there than at Commerce. Order whatever you want, just know you have to pay for it. Tip $1 a drink....and its ok to ask for $0.50 chips from the dealer if your drinks are like $3.50 or something.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. I don't know from bourbon. I was just making a comparison that you aren't limited to Jonnie Walker red or black or whatever color is the cheapest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnnie Walker is scotch, not bourbon.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Somewhat pertinent short story:

I was staying at TI during August of this year and was in a juicy n/l game. The biggest donator was drinking, when he requested a shot of Patron the waitress told him she could not bring it. After seeing the disappointed look on his face I told him to hold on. I went to the TI VIP room, poured two shots of Patron and brought it to the table for him. He was now a happy camper and I got paid off by him on several future value bets on the river.

Jimbo
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, IIRC, the Venetian does serve Macallan scotch, even at the low limit poker tables. Granted, I'm sure it was only the 12 year, or maybe the waitress was lying to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting free Macallan 12 at the Wynn while playing nickel video poker was one of the highlights of my last vegas trip. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was staying at TI during August of this year and was in a juicy n/l game. The biggest donator was drinking, when he requested a shot of Patron the waitress told him she could not bring it. After seeing the disappointed look on his face I told him to hold on. I went to the TI VIP room, poured two shots of Patron and brought it to the table for him. He was now a happy camper and I got paid off by him on several future value bets on the river.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great way to feed the fish! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I am in Utah where they tax the crap out of booze, and it's cheaper than that. If memory serves me, Maker's is ~ $25/ 750 ml. and Knob Creek ~ $30.

For what it's worth, I have had Maker's and Crown Royal (I know it's not bourbon) at most all the big strip resorts poker rooms, and I have had Knob Creek at the Wynn poker room. Tried to get Booker's, but that was a no go.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

VIP room? Never heard of it. Where/what is it?