Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Tips for spotting the GOOD LAG\'s

In my very humble opinion, you tight PLO players play the way you do because you know it's a winning holdem strategy. Most people learn that game first and try to look for similarities.

I'm not saying playing tight PLO is wrong, but since most hands are never a big dog preflop playing loose isn't that big of a deal. In holdem, no amount of postflop skill can overcome calling a raise with KJ offsuit. In PLO if you can put a tight player on AAxx when he raises, if the stacks are deep enough you can call with just about anything suited and connected(assuming you can outplay him later).

As much as "math guys" want to make all the correct plays, very rarely are they savy enough to incorporate the value of fold equity, position, table image, etc. into a game that they think is so mathematically simple. Try playing your middle or bottom set vs. my wrap deep stacked and see where the mathemtical advantage is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RiverDancer
Old 05-12-2006, 03:20 AM

Um. Tight players tend not to play bottom set much. If you play your 8-5 wrap against kj7 double suited board, and win much of the time, god bless you. Most everyone on this board recognizes the value of wraps. I am interested in what you mean by "you can call with just about anything suited and connected". I hope to see future hands from you.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 PM

One of the most important things that makes a LAG good vs. just being a retarded chip-spewer is hand reading.

And if you don't have his reads, then you will see some donkish calls that are actually good reads, and some thin value bets that are correct (tho those are seen less often).

So one thing i look for is thin calls with marginal hands that turn out to be correct

-g
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM

Preflop strategy changes for me and I may appear laggish when actually Im very tagish early and laggish late position. Im a winning player because I value bet and rarely get trapped with 2nd best. Plus the regulars dont see me often ( Im good PLO but better NLHE player) so when I jump in a game,I do my best to try and look like a total donky. Especially because PLO is sooooo loose preflop in most games 400 and lower that Position is more important to me than cards. They play loose so i can play loose late, but i still tighten up early.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:57 PM

Yeah, on that note, there's a guy I played the other day that raised with something like 4679 and put the third bet in on the 998 flop drawing dead. He seemed to lack a fundamental understanding of how to play flopped trips with three undercards when you're behind.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, on that note, there's a guy I played the other day that raised with something like 4679 and put the third bet in on the 998 flop drawing dead. He seemed to lack a fundamental understanding of how to play flopped trips with three undercards when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he accidently deleted the fold button from his IMG folder?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Ha I thought you were Chimi, but you were my second choice.