Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all o

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with them running it as many times at they want. As others have pointed out, it's alot of money and it's theirs so they can do what they want. It doesn't make for quite as good TV, but the world doesn't revolve around making good TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

but... it's a TV SHOW.

i'm pretty sure that when it comes to tv shows, the world does, in fact, revolve around making good tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

but... it's a TV SHOW where the players are playing THEIR MONEY. If GSN wants to set all the terms, GSN can supply the buy-ins.

I want to see players playing their money in a high stakes game. Thats entertaining to me. I don't want to see a PAD type show where players are basically freerolling. This is a large chunk of some of their bankrolls, which is what makes it exciting. The tradeoff for us as viewers is that the players need to be able to mitigate some of the variance they experience. That means running it multiple times.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all over)

[ QUOTE ]
I do not claim to be an expert...and everyone on this show is a lot better than me (even JG). But someone explain to me why you would re-raise with a straight flush...

It obviously worked, because Sammy called the reraise by DB...but it would never cross my mind to reraise on the turn here. Someone help me with this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise because opponents can call with lots of big hands. They'll call (or reraise/go all-in) with a flush. They'll call with a set and probably go all-in on the river if the board pairs.

If you've got the nuts, bet it and let your opponents figure out how they can possibly call while drawing dead.

The hard part if figuring out how much to raise/bet with a hand as big as Benyamine had.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Players really put in 500+ BB light this episode. I hope it's a sign of things to come!

[ QUOTE ]
He had 500k, half of the pot wasn't his.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He won 750k of the 1mill in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

you said both of these things so im a little confused...my only question now is after the hand was over...how much did pa have in front of him?

[ QUOTE ]
I do not claim to be an expert...and everyone on this show is a lot better than me (even JG). But someone explain to me why you would re-raise with a straight flush...

It obviously worked, because Sammy called the reraise by DB...but it would never cross my mind to reraise on the turn here. Someone help me with this one!

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the point of having a straight flush that only wins you a small amount of money. If Farha has a set he's probably calling to try and draw out. If he's got a strong flush he's probably at least calling (and might even move in with something like the nut flush). If you wait to the river it might seem fishy, but more importantly the board might not pair, or another club might come making Farha's hand even weaker. Weak to the point of not calling any bet.

Farha could have had the A of clubs. In which case he'll probably call a decent sized bet on the turn drawing to the nut flush. If the river is not a club he wouldn't call anything.

There are lots of situations where Farha is putting money in on the turn, but wouldn't put anything in on the river.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You reraise because opponents can call with lots of big hands. They'll call (or reraise/go all-in) with a flush. They'll call with a set and probably go all-in on the river if the board pairs.

If you've got the nuts, bet it and let your opponents figure out how they can possibly call while drawing dead.

The hard part if figuring out how much to raise/bet with a hand as big as Benyamine had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously. He'll call there even if he knows he's beat because he thinks he can stack him if the board pairs. I think Benyamine purposely bet such an amount so that Farha would do that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all over)

That makes sense...I see what you are saying. That's another reason I am watching those stakes instead of playing those stakes!

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He had 500k, half of the pot wasn't his.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He won 750k of the 1mill in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

you said both of these things so im a little confused...my only question now is after the hand was over...how much did pa have in front of him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant half of the money in the 1mill pot wasn't his (before the results came in), because it looked like you though since it was a 1 mill pot that PA bought in for 1 mill. Apologies if you didn't mean that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 PM

As they say in the hood, daniel negreanu is in the hizzouse imo.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why they made such a big deal out of Doyle's call there. With the nut flush draw, and the fact that Guy has shown himself to be kind of out of control, that was a trivially easy call getting around ~4:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is where reads/experience matters. i think doyle had a dead-on read/tell on Guy to make that turn bet/call.

He wasn't getting 4:1. I think it was 2.5:1 or 3:1. In general, top-pair-medium-kicker won't be good that often against a big raise like that. Its a pretty tough call to make.

[/ QUOTE ]