Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: The Well: Sirio (11.24.06)

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1, AJo first hand of a medium buy in ($20-$50), regular speed, no limit on-line tournament; raise or fold (or open-limp)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I raise, sometimes I open limp-reraise, sometimes I open fold.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Some where above you mentioned that you were an academic. Were you a Professor ? I am getting a PhD in CS soon and I am wondering how Poker affects life. So far, I play on limited time along with my grinding graduate work as I go to one of the nation's top schools.

What is it like managing an academic job and Poker ? I know that it's much easier for academic people because of flexible hours. When did you decide to leave your job and concentrate completely on the Poker and why ?

I love my research a lot more than Poker, so I don't think I will ever go to full-time-poker-playing other than for a few months, but what advice would you give a low-stakes player who probably earns ~10K per year playing low-stake SNGs and cash games? Stick to 1 or 2 hours per day or take some time off, make some money etc ?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: The Well: Sirio

David -
Can you please go over your evolution as a poker player? Did you start out playing SNG's, etc., why did you eventually settle on MTT's, just a nice overview if you could. TY.

The answer for this question is way too long. It probably deserves an entire blog entry. Allow me to take some time to do it. I can tell you now, by the time I started to play poker in the internet (2003) I was already a poker player (since 1997).
I settled on MTT's I think because of my competitive nature. They're more fun to play.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:08 PM

Do you feel like theres any adjustments you had to make to do well in person at the WSOP as opposed to playing online?
Old 11-25-2006, 05:14 PM

what were you like in high school
Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 PM

Hey David,
What do you think is the biggest difference between the elite tournament players and the simply good tournament players?

I'd say attitude + the right stuff

By right stuff I mean:

If you're a natural, a brilliant poker mind like MLG, being psychologically tough, almost never on tilt, not prone to make mistakes like Rizen.

If you're not a natural, right stuff means you have to work a lot.

Of course attitude + running sick good works too

Do they run more bluffs?

Nah, it's more like they know when to; some people just bluff randomly, just because they feel like bluffing, these are mediocre players of course; some of us are better and we know when there is a good chance for a bluff to be successful, but then, we second guess ourselves or we're afraid to pull the trigger; elite players, find a good bluffing opportunity and they don't have any problem to pull the trigger

do they extract more from their good hands?

You bet they do, some players bet an amount based on the strength of their hand; elite players bet an amount based on the strength of their hand relatively to the strength of their opponent's; they always know where they at and they never miss a chance to value bet.

What brought your own game to the next level?

I'm not quite there yet, but I know what usually brings my game down.
To be on the next level, I think you need to really love what you're doing; you have to be humble, have the ability to keep learning from others and work a lot; some combination of PASSION + HUMILITY + WORK.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:48 AM

If you had the possibility to use a time machine one time to go back in the past and change one thing in your life, poker or life related, what would that be?

Most probably I'd change some things I've done or said to people I love.
I think I'd also try to talk with young David and explain him some things he didn't have a clue then and what's really important in life.
I know I'd really appreciate some wisdom from my future me now.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sirio,

Do you play only high buyin tournaments?

Do you ever play in tournaments that are well below what you are rolled for during this time when you aren't playing as much either for fun, to keep in poker shape, or to pwn some donks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost only play tournaments $100R or higher and usually with big fields; and that's a mistake, especially when you're running bad. I think you should lower the stakes and pwn some donks to regain confidence, not to mention control variance. Definitely it's one of the mistakes I have made this year, to not play smaller tourneys and smaller fields.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 AM

Some where above you mentioned that you were an academic. Were you a Professor ?

Yes, I was a college professor at UTEP.

I am getting a PhD in CS soon and I am wondering how Poker affects life. So far, I play on limited time along with my grinding graduate work as I go to one of the nation's top schools.

Pretty nice, one of my dreams as a child was to get a PhD, but during my Masters I discovered that I just don't have the discipline to do it.

What is it like managing an academic job and Poker ? I know that it's much easier for academic people because of flexible hours.

Right on, I don't think it's hard as long as you have your priorities in order.

When did you decide to leave your job and concentrate completely on the Poker and why ?

Last year, I was playing poker like 40 hours a week, and teaching like 4 courses; I was always exhausted, besides, I was not enjoying myself as a professor, at least in some of my classes. I decided to take a break from teaching and enjoy poker and my family more.

I love my research a lot more than Poker , so I don't think I will ever go to full-time-poker-playing other than for a few months, but what advice would you give a low-stakes player who probably earns ~10K per year playing low-stake SNGs and cash games? Stick to 1 or 2 hours per day or take some time off, make some money etc ?

I bolded your key words, if you love what you do, you'll always be fine. I don't think you'll ever have a problem if you play a little poker. I don't know what research are you in these days and the amount of time you need to get it done; but if your true love is the academic field, poker will never be a problem, just another hobby for you and a profitable one.
The day poker starts to eat the hours from your job, it's not because poker is dangerous per se, it will be because you're losing some passion for your job.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not prone to make mistakes like Rizen.

[/ QUOTE ]Rizen makes mistakes? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]