Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 AM

Default Re: ***** November LC Thread *****

[ QUOTE ]
Bubbling REPEATEDLY in the sunday million fpp satellites and watching my hard-earned fpp's get flushed down the drain has possibly been the most life-tilting experience of my poker career.

RIP FPP's.

[/ QUOTE ]

mtts life tilt me just about always.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:35 AM

Why is it that I get sucked out on so much? I'm pretty sure it's more than the allotted "if you consistently get it in with the best of it, you take more bad beats".

And moreover, why is it that when I go on tilt from it, I never hit my suckouts?

I have a lot of them, but try as I might, I just can't spend SklanskyHUSNGChips.

This is truly neither a game of skill or luck, but one of magic, and there seems to be powerful magic aligned against me.

[censored]. THIS. [censored].
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bubbling REPEATEDLY in the sunday million fpp satellites and watching my hard-earned fpp's get flushed down the drain has possibly been the most life-tilting experience of my poker career.

RIP FPP's.

[/ QUOTE ]

mtts life tilt me just about always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but this was STT's. Pick your poison I guess.

Small sample size obviously, but I played 7 5400 fpp satellites (top 4 get the $215 entry) and I came in 5th 5 times. The shortstacks doubled/tripled up over and over obviously.

I would have much rather come in something like 10th 8th 7th 5th 5th or something, but I guess that would mean I was playing poorly.

-- I did place in 2 so I at least made $430 out of it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:01 AM

I only played 3 of those sattelites so far and I won all of them. The secret is to double up one time and then fold into the money and let others be impatient. Pushbotting and that stuff doesn't work. Even if you only have 3BB's, fold if some other guy has 2BB's. I was running hot in all 3 of those (I remember having AQ against AK and won with my AQ), but this was my basic strategy.

Of course, this is probably just a variance, Hokie, but these sattelites are probably largely profitable.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that I get sucked out on so much? I'm pretty sure it's more than the allotted "if you consistently get it in with the best of it, you take more bad beats".

And moreover, why is it that when I go on tilt from it, I never hit my suckouts?

I have a lot of them, but try as I might, I just can't spend SklanskyHUSNGChips.

This is truly neither a game of skill or luck, but one of magic, and there seems to be powerful magic aligned against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

u will run worse than u ever thought possible. I've been a super profitable player for about 4 yrs now. There have been times when i ran so bad i thought Lee Jones at pokerstars had it out for me and was screwing with my cards. THere have been times when I've shed tears. There have been times when i threw things. There have been times when I've contemplated suicide.

Variance is a true beast. There are many many talented poker players that will never make it because they cannot stomache the pain that this game will bring you.

GL,

Indy
Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u will run worse than u ever thought possible. I've been a super profitable player for about 4 yrs now. There have been times when i ran so bad i thought Lee Jones at pokerstars had it out for me and was screwing with my cards. THere have been times when I've shed tears. There have been times when i threw things. There have been times when I've contemplated suicide.

Variance is a true beast. There are many many talented poker players that will never make it because they cannot stomache the pain that this game will bring you.

GL,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy is right. We all experience it from time to time. Variance is the beauty of this game. The secret is to start loving poker even though poker doesn't love you sometimes. I love poker even when I am losing.

You have to take it as a part of this game.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GL,

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

I've given myself a concussion banging my head on the carpet, seriously.

Part of becoming a strong poker player is learning about variance (what is normal, what is abnormal) and embracing it. There are countless steps you can take (which most people don't) to get your variance down as low as possible.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 AM

actually its the losing that truly solidified my passion for poker. Proving to myself that I can lose 2K in 2 hours and then make myself quit playing, and then come back and recover from this loss is something that has truly made me proud.

If poker were easy and it didnt [censored] with us, it wouldnt be as interesting or fun. So get out there and enjoy those losses!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 AM

also, u will never become a successful poker player without losing your shirt a few times and having the balls to recover from it. losing shouldnt life tilt you, but rather, should make u understand that you are on your way to being a winner if you dont let it break u!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 AM

tears, maybe. suicide, no. throwing things, well, obviously.

this might be why your wife has such a huge problem with you playing poker lol