Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: last year\'s final table thus far

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Love to see Cunningham get hot, IMO the best overall tournament player in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably the 1,473,522nd person to say this, but when I was rooting for Cunningham last year, it was hard to think of another competitive "sports" event where people root so heavily against the average Joe when he faces a pro.

Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cunningham is generally viewed as one of the "good guys" in poker and easy to root for. If it was someone like Helmuth or Tony G or Matasow or Sheiky or a host of others there would be lots of support for the "average Joe". Also, even without mentioning any personality traits, Jamie Gold is a Hollywood producer, not someone the general public would look upon as an "average Joe".
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]
Golf.

No one roots to see the lesser names win majors; it's always for Tiger, Mickelson, and Vijay.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie gold: busto
Paul Wasicka 22200
Michael binger: 94,000 (last update)
Allen Cunningham 53,700
Rhett Butler 36900
Richard Lee 55200
Doug Kim: 69,200
Erik friberg: 9000 (last update)
Dan nassif: busto

not too bad a showing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold withstanding, last years final table seemed like a classy bunch, people that I would root for again.

BTW, is Binger really that good? THe seemed to passive in last years main event, but he has backed it up big time this year.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Love to see Cunningham get hot, IMO the best overall tournament player in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]
Golf.

No one roots to see the lesser names win majors; it's always for Tiger, Mickelson, and Vijay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. How did I forget golf?

I also think golfers as a species don't elicit much grassroots support because they're generally viewed as well-off whitebread dudes.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

What happened to all the money Gold gave to fight ALS?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably the 1,473,522nd person to say this, but when I was rooting for Cunningham last year, it was hard to think of another competitive "sports" event where people root so heavily against the average Joe when he faces a pro.

Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is an intersting one, but I'm not sure it's universal.

1- Gold didn't give good "Average Joe". Being smug (and having a giant chipstack) kinda kills humble.

2- Cunningham is one of the few pros that I think people universally root for. I was happy to see many many pros bust.

If the "average joe" was some guy playing well, I think everybody would get behind him. Thing is, most of the avg Joes we see in poker tend to be violently bad and that's ugly to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moneymaker was the emodiment of the "average joe." He was humble, average, had a regular job. His "average joe"-ness helped poker explode. As for Gold, a cocky, arrogant double-talking Hollywood agent is not someone a lot of people identify with.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's because we, as poker players, want skill to triumph over luck, which means, generally, pros over amateurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so totally not it. People get pissed off here because they perceive the Average Joe to be a a worse player than THEY are therefore undeserving of their luck. This overcomes their natural tendancy to root for the underdog, which works most of the time in any other sport. They then root for the pro, since they see more of themselves in the skill the pro represents. They want to think that if it were them up against the Average Joe that their superior skill would win out.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:26 PM

Obviously better than the 2005 guys:

Joe Hachem: $35,300
Steve Dannenman: $39,500
Tex Barch: Busted
Aaron Kanter: Busted
Andrew Black: Busted
Scott Lazar: Busted
Daniel Bergsdorf: $92,400
Brad Kondracki: Busted
Mike Matusow: Busted
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any equivalent events?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point is an intersting one, but I'm not sure it's universal.

1- Gold didn't give good "Average Joe". Being smug (and having a giant chipstack) kinda kills humble.

2- Cunningham is one of the few pros that I think people universally root for. I was happy to see many many pros bust.

If the "average joe" was some guy playing well, I think everybody would get behind him. Thing is, most of the avg Joes we see in poker tend to be violently bad and that's ugly to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the majority of avg joes who are in the ME and post on 2+2 on a regular basis poor players?