Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: 200PLO slowplay flopped nut straight + freeroll?

Well I liked this hand just as I liked some of your previous ones.
Please keep posting them hehe.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never consider a str8 a slowplayable hand in Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Flip Flop - I realize the title of the thread mentions "slow play" - but Hero isn't exactly slow playing his flopped nut straight - because he made a pot sized bet on the second betting round. That's certainly not "slow playing."

But now that Villain has check-raised, Hero doesn't have to play like he's rigidly locked into a "Damn the torpedoes" mode.

If Hero's stack is $1000, then re-raising, so as to maximize the pot, makes sense.

But, considering the actual stack sizes, I still fail to see the problem of maximizing this pot on the third and fourth betting rounds, if Hero decides that is the way to optimize earnings on this hand.

How does Hero get the most out of this hand? No one has yet convinced me that it's necessarily by instantly re-raising.

I'm not advocating slow playing a flopped straight!

I'm advocating optimizing earnings by superior play, by adapting to the current situation better than your opponent.

Buzz
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 PM

I know Buzz, I made that comment because the word was used few times so it was a little bit misleading.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It came Jh. It goes check check. I wonder if I could somehow value bet there, maybe half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Very few villains will check a full house twice, so you can bet and expect to get called by worse enough of the time to justify it, apart from the benefit of not giving villain a free showdown.

FWIW I disagree with most of what's been written in this thread. You're not slowplaying by just calling the raise; you only benefit when villain specifically has the same straight, and our equity gain really isn't so significant that we lose out bucketloads when this happens. In any case we'll usually still be in a freeroll situation on the turn as well. We definitely lose our customer enough of the time when he's drawing dead if we 3-bet; we should also realise that villain will pick up a flush draw on the turn a certain amount of the time which will stop him from being able to get away from the 2nd best hand. Villain can also have a bigger freeroll.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Buzz, I made that comment because the word was used few times so it was a little bit misleading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, a wrong word probably. Betting out on the flop isn't really slowplaying. Flip Flop, I know I suck at Omaha, because I am a noob, but I really want to get better. Sorry if I post some stupid hands. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM

The pretend to have the full to bluff out the straight is a play I've written about, and used, albeit sparingly. It is very Foe specific, especially online where aggression levels are so much higher. You're really balancing two concepts in situations like these. "Losing my market" vs "Forcing out the same hand on a bluff". In most situation, especially when you don't know your Foe well and he isn't a rock, the first concept wins. Why? The parlay of factors that require the first to be useful are a lot more common than the latter.

gl

bdd
Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM

I said reraise and think that its actually close after reading the replies, if it with the intention to take the pot away from him if the board pairs and he checks (or maybe weak-leads) calling might be better, if its not just reraising is still best imo.

also, regardless if the plan is to take it if board pairs or not, without the king I prefer just calling.