Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Default AK 5/5

I've played mostly limit for years, but over the last year or so have been dabbling more with NL; thus, apologies if any of this is standard or ridiculously simple, but please tell me if so and why. Comments on all streets appreciated.

5/5 live, effective stacks 400$. The game is playing small. 2 limpers to me in the SB, I have AK diamonds and make it 25. BB folds, MP limper calls, button calls.

Flop: Ac Qd 9s. I lead for 50. MP thinks and calls, button folds. MP seems reasonable.

Turn: As. I lead 100$, MP thinks and moves in for 200$ more. 575 or so in the pot, 200$ to me.

Results to follow.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: AK 5/5

Literally instacall, I'd bet a little more preflop
Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 PM

OK, thanks. I'm waiting for a few more responses hopefully.

Leon
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 PM

How can you possibly think you can fold here?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm not saying I think I can fold. I'm saying I think my NL skills suck in comparison to my limit game, and I want to explore my options. What hands do you think move in on me here (besides air)?

THanks

Leon
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM

make it a big bigger preflop, people hate folding in live cash - other than that looks good now snap call/shove and fistpump
Old 10-23-2007, 01:46 AM

Default results

I didn't snap call this one, but I did call. I ruled out QQ and 99, assuming those hands would be raised PF. Mostly I was worried about AQ or A9, but if that cooler was out there then so be it. I figured there was a good enough chance that worse trips would shove to justify a call. Of course I was shown 99, and didn't improve.

My final question is- what makes this such an easy call? Is it the fact that I'm only ~ 100bb's deep? B/c I have a hard time coming up with a hand that flat calls my flop bet, and shoves on my turn bet that I beat (barring Ax, and I think this is a pretty poor play for Ax).

THanks

Leon
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played mostly limit for years, but over the last year or so have been dabbling more with NL; thus, apologies if any of this is standard or ridiculously simple, but please tell me if so and why. Comments on all streets appreciated.

5/5 live, effective stacks 400$. The game is playing small. 2 limpers to me in the SB, I have AK diamonds and make it 25. BB folds, MP limper calls, button calls.

Flop: Ac Qd 9s. I lead for 50. MP thinks and calls, button folds. MP seems reasonable.

Turn: As. I lead 100$, MP thinks and moves in for 200$ more. 575 or so in the pot, 200$ to me.

Results to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 200:575 so you need 25% equity to be good here. We can rule out QQ from his range, and discount AQ.

Given his range is ONLY AQ,A9 or 99 you have 12.5% equity. But you include the chances he's bluffing or has a lower Ace, knows he can't fold it and decides he might as well push now and yah, you gotta call this. If you have AT or A8 then it starts to get close.

When i first started playing no limit I also thought a lot about hands like this. I guess it takes some experience but unless you have extremely strong reads on your opponents I dont think you can ever lay a hand like this down.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 AM

AJ and AT alone make up enough of his range to call this and expect to win at least 50%
Old 10-23-2007, 03:53 AM

your analysis is right OP, but people dont always (infact rarely) play that way

literally most live players i play with dont understand the fundamental theorem of poker and do things like shove Ax here or turn hands with reasonable show down equity into bluffs...

its alot harder to butcher the FTP in limit than it is in NL which explains your lack of experience with these kinds of situations