Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Default $200 live bubble situation

22 left of 176... top 17 get paid, although in my experience when it gets to last two tables (18-20) will get their buyin back.

Our table just had a bustout so we're sitting 6-handed at the moment. Table has been very tight.

Blinds are 1500 / 3000 w/ 400 antes. I have 34.5K in chips, which is about average at this point. Villain has 32K in chips. Villian is super-tight.

Villain is UTG and goes all-in.

I put him on a pocket pair that is not AA or KK (likely JJ or QQ). Standard move for AA/KK at this table is to limp or min-raise... given his stack and how I believe he views his stack I discount AA or KK from being in his range... I give it nearly 0% chance.

It's folded to me in SB, and I look at A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Even if I know villain has QQ, is this call justified purely from the overlay of the blinds + antes?

Is there more equity to be gained by folding and punishing the tighties on the bubble... picking up blinds + antes?

Thanks,
-G
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: $200 live bubble situation

Pretty much the converse situation of the one I just posted. Interested to see replies.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM

no this is quite different from the situation brad refers to - as you have to call a push here and can't reraise all-in.

so here you have no FE, which makes it more difficult.

if you could be sure he has a PP and nothing else you might fold, but as you never can be this is an easy call.

you see a lot of AQ to even A7 or worse, KQ, KJ and so on, specially if you play 6 handed.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

play for the big bucks...snap call!

seriously, villains range 6-handed (even if hes tight) is KQ, AQ, AK, 88-QQ, maybe even AJ. you have 60% equity against that range.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 AM

according to me this is not the righttime to make a call, I think I'll do it on a final tble not on bubble time. Am I 2 tight???
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM

I was almost certain he had a pocket pair. I didn't think the table in general understood we were short-handed, and although I think the table at least in an intuitive sense understood "M", they generally did not understand it with the added scope of the antes (judging from standard raise sizes to this point). I felt with his perceived stack size he was only pushing with a decent pocket pair or AK.

Anyways, I called with my A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ... I felt it was probably a coinflip but my thought at the moment was if I doubled here I'd have a legitimate shot at the top 3.

He flipped QQ.

Flop was as good as it could be for me without an A or K (10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on flop)... but I didn't hit and was out two hands later.

Afterwards I thought if I might have had more equity in folding and given the tightness of the table, taking advantage of my FE and pushing the action rather than calling in this coinflip spot... but you know... you always question your decision when it ends up busting you out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
-G
Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Problem is we can't really "punish the tighties on the bubble" here, one raise gets played back at and we're priced in for our stack. With this stack size we have little option, we're looking to double anyway, good call.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is we can't really "punish the tighties on the bubble" here, one raise gets played back at and we're priced in for our stack. With this stack size we have little option, we're looking to double anyway, good call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with this... but just going through the thought processes... near the bubble... with an extremely tight table... pushing with any two (certainly on the button or SB) has to be extremely +EV... I'd be picking up an extra 7K in chips (1/5 of my stack any time this succeeds)... on the rare occassion I get called... unless they have an overpair my cards are likely very live (looking at 60/40 which I'll take with the extra FE)

I keep thinking that calling with AK was possibly a bad decision... being the 1st in with AK is a nobrainer.. but calling seems to be taking the passive way out when I've been pushing the action to this point.

Ugh. I'm just not convinced I'd make the same play if I was in this same scenario in the future.

I think the decision itself is a coinflip but I'm still trying to learn... but yeah... if I spiked an A or K this post would never have been made [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
-G
Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if I know villain has QQ, is this call justified purely from the overlay of the blinds + antes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly...call.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there more equity to be gained by folding and punishing the tighties on the bubble... picking up blinds + antes?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. U have 10BBs. Plus, if u fold this hand, you're playing like one of the tighties yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:56 PM

fist pump call