Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: What would you do if you didn\'t need money?

Id try to own the city of st. louis. At first, Id get a nice italian villa, and a place in vegas, and do some world traveling, but when that got tiresome, Id try to singlehandedly try to revitalize downtown stl, so when Id die Id have a statue built in my honor.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 PM

I'd put the cash in a high interest savings account, with 5mil you'll get 5+%. I could live off of the interest for the rest of my life. For work, I'd do charity events or work for a not for profit organization.... in hawaii...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Travel and try to play as many golf courses around the world as possible.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Two chicks at the same time man

Seriously though, for a few years I would travel around the world to every countr that ever intrigued me, experiencing tons of different cultures and trying new things.

Then eventually I would buy a place in the area(s) I enjoyed most, and probably maintain an "endless summer" type of life where I never had to suffer through winter. In the fall I would make sure to come home to the states in order to coach football and see my family. Also I would try to learn/master a ton of subjects like Roman History, Philosophy, etc (whatever I found interesting at the time).

Eventually I would have to stop moving around so much and start a family, where and when would pretty much be out of my control.

I also like guids' idea of revitalizing an area and becoming a hero to a community. It would also be pretty cool to start a prestigous University like Stanford did (unfortunately I think there's already a Southern University).

Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 PM

I seriously am quite lazy, and would probably find myself just traveling and bullshitting with people everywhere.

That, and try to get really good at one instrument (likely piano). Unfortunately my musical abilities kind of suck, and I'd probably spend 10 years getting as good as the 'pros' can get in 1.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:50 PM

At first I thought this was a dumb "what if you were rich" question and wouldn't be interesting. But I began to think about it, and I ended up at a really interesting (to me) conclusion: I would not change much in my life. I got down to 4 things:

* I would get a bigger apartment.

Maybe a condo, depending on what was available and nice. I live exactly where I want to, so maybe I'd move a couple blocks to a place with some room, a nice kitchen, and some storage space. 2 people and 2 cats in a studio can get cramped at times.

* I would quit my job.

I only have it to pay bills while my wife finishes gradschool. I have no passion for it whatsoever, so if paying rent and tuition were not a concern, no job.

* I would give a lot to charities.

A lot. A lot a lot.

* I would travel more.

This is the only thing in my life that I find myself routinely thinking of lack of money as an impediment. I have a lot of family 3000 miles away that I never get to see, I'd like to see more of the country, and I'd like to explore the world with my wife. This is the biggest change of anything, as I have no money now I never travel, and with zero barriers I think I'd be on the road a few months a year easily.

That's really about it. I would buy the good wine and good scotch more often, eat out at nice restaurants more often, but I do some of that now anyway, so its not a big deal. I frankly wouldn't even buy a car; I like my high ground and would probably keep it. My family and close friends would probably get to buy a bunch of stuff.

So what would I fill my time with? Same things I do now. Poker. Playing games. Hanging out with friends. Helping friends make art. Reading. Cooking. Exploring. And of course, the above mentioned travel.

[ QUOTE ]
We all need some direction in our lives, something to make up proud and feel like we are doing something productive. What would yours be if money were no longer an issue for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I disagree completely with your statement here. Why do I need direction? Why do I need to be productive? Why should that make me proud?

Personally I take pride out of not doing harm to people, to life, and to the planet. Being "productive" sounds like the antithesis of what I would want to be. Basically I would revel in that which gives me pleasure, and help as many people as possible avoid hardship and pain in their lives.

Whether you want to call this hedonism, enlightenment, or nihilism is up to you.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put the cash in a high interest savings account, with 5mil you'll get 5+%. I could live off of the interest for the rest of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you couldn't do this, but wow what a way to burn money.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 PM

I would travel and travel and travel. If I found somewhere that I loved while travelling, I would stay there for as long as I wanted (or I could).. then I would keep going. I would keep doing this until:

1) I got bored/tired/wanted to get married, etc or,
2) I found somewhere that I never wanted to leave

While travelling I would pursue all sorts of different things: cooking courses of all my favourite cusines. Run a bar somewhere. Really, whatever I wanted.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM

OP,

There are three things I'd like to pursue in that scenario.

1: I'd travel a lot and definitely try out a lot of hobbies/interests that I am curious about but haven't wanted to spend the time on.

2: I'd want to do some things that are much bigger in scope than anything I've done before. Maybe huge real estate developments. Maybe really try a big "game-changing" startup idea. Basically, something where in business/industry I can put my stamp on something. Like, start a new model for an airline. Start a new sports league. Come up with next generation mobile phones, whatever.

3: Do some big charitable work where I can actually make some real impact towards getting a problem solved. Basically leverage my money and influence to help really get something done on a big scale in terms of social impact.