Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Default If you are a male and you can hit the ball, Play from the back tees

it drives me absolutely nuts to see people who are kind of okay playing 5400 yard courses. GROW SOME BALLS. do you shoot baskets on an 8 foot goal because you aren't reggie miller?

no score you ever shoot, and no score you ever turn in for a handicap should ever count if you are playing a course under 6000 yards and can hit the ball over 200 yards.

discuss.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: If you are a male and you can hit the ball, Play from the back tee

[ QUOTE ]

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like to get off the course in under 4.5 hours, Joe 25-handicap has no business being anywhere but the white tees.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it drives me absolutely nuts to see people who are kind of okay playing 5400 yard courses. GROW SOME BALLS. do you shoot baskets on an 8 foot goal because you aren't reggie miller?

no score you ever shoot, and no score you ever turn in for a handicap should ever count if you are playing a course under 6000 yards and can hit the ball over 200 yards.

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

well heres the first absolutely worthless thread in the golf forum.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no score you ever turn in for a handicap should ever count if you are playing a course under 6000 yards

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what course ratings are for.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a strong guy. I used to not have a driver, so I'd tee off with my 3-wood which would always go over 200 yards. I hit my sand wedge 100 yards. I made good contact the other day and hit my 6-iron 200 yards. Given those numbers, I should be playing from the back tees according to your logic. In reality, however, I don't always make solid contact with my 3-wood and I don't always hit my 6-iron over its standard 160 yards that I expect when I pull it out of the bag. For someone like me who can finish 18 in 3.5 hours without anyone in front of him, I AM STILL A 40 HANDICAPPER and have no business hitting from the back tees, as do most of the other golfers you'll find on your typical golf course.

Your comment about how these scores shouldn't be turned in for handicap is ridiculous also. Different tees rating & slope are adjusted for the yardage. The course is easier when it's 1,000 yards shorter, so it's going to have a lower slope. A score of 90 from the whites on an average difficulty course isn't going to magically cut my 40 handicap in half.

Thank goodness nobody follows the logic you've proposed, otherwise we'd have 5 hour rounds all the time. Hit from the blues, golds, blacks, etc... when hitting from the whites is too easy, not because you just think you should be hitting from the back because you're a man.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: If you are a male and you can hit the ball, Play from the back tees

I will try to be constructive here.

usga course rating system
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM

Golf is supposed to be fun...
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a male, not very good golfer that can hit the ball a decent distance. I played the other day on a course I had never seen before that was ~6500 from the whites and something like 7150 from the blues. I played the whites. Acceptable or not?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golf is supposed to be fun...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-24-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a male, not very good golfer that can hit the ball a decent distance. I played the other day on a course I had never seen before that was ~6500 from the whites and something like 7150 from the blues. I played the whites. Acceptable or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

acceptable. 6500 yards is a good sized course.
as for the 5 hour round crap, i played yesterday in ~3 hours from the back tees and i played terribly and spent 10 minutes looking for my ball in thick rough twice.

You don't have to play slow just because you aren't very good. Most slow golfers have no etiquette or have some jacked up routine that takes them 45 seconds to hit each of their 8 shots per hole. Go watch the majority of tour pros and how fast they step up and hit the damn ball.

warik- you don't count. if you are a 40 handicapper, you don't hit the ball decently, no offense or anything. If you keep getting better and get to about a 20-25, where you hit the ball consistently pretty good, you need to move back.