Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Pokerstars Alert Sound Volume

I need the alert but I don't want them to be that loud. So I use cooledit to adjust the volume of the sound files stored in the snd folder. Then every time stars issue a new update, the sound files restore to the original volume. I'll have to do it all over again. Is there any other way to do it?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars Alert Sound Volume

You can browse for any file to be played for attention. Can you save the file you modified and put it in different folder so it doesn't get replaced?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:58 PM

much easier solution,

Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
much easier solution,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing I was thinking.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:16 AM

clever gents,

however, it is a good question because if i'm listening to music, or watching a video or something, i don't want to have to lose the volume on that to lower the volume on stars.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 AM

use WinAmp . It has volume bar.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM

BluEsiNsOuL,

The problem is PokerStarsUpdate.exe. This is the default way to open the client and it checks your installed files against those on the server, if any are different it prompts you to download an update...this is great when there is an actual update to install, but bad if you're trying to mod your files. We used to run into the same problem before stars offered the option of "Themes" and people were modding their cards/background images.

The easy way to fix the problem is to use PokerStars.exe to launch the client. The problem with this is when there is a real update to download you won't be notified.

The slightly more involved answer (although still pretty easy) is to use a batch file to trick PokerStarsUpdate.exe into thinking you're using the original files and everything is fine. This option is the best because when there is a real update you'll still be notified and be able to download and install it (and your mods will still work).

Here is the way I do it. FWIW, there is most likely a simpler/more efficient way to do it because I'm not all that DOS savy, but my method works (at least it does on my XP machine).

Disclaimer: This works for me, your mileage may vary. Not responsible if you blow up your computer, etc.

Step one: Go into your PokerStars directory and find the Snd folder, go into this folder and create two new folders "New" and "Old"

In the "New" folder place your modded alert sound file (the alert sound is snd7.wav, your file should be named this as well).

In the "Old" folder place a copy of the original snd7.wav file (you should also leave the original in parent Snd folder).

Step two: Open notepad and cut and paste the following:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>copy /y "Snd\Old\snd7.wav" "Snd\snd7.wav"
rem move Snd\snd7.wav Snd\snd7.wav.bak
PokerStarsUpdate.exe
copy /y "Snd\New\snd7.wav" "Snd\snd7.wav"</pre><hr />

Once that is done do a save as and name the file "Stars.bat"

(Note: I'm only focusing on the alert sound. If you are modding other sounds you'll need to alter the batch file accordingly using the same format as above.)

Important: Place the Stars.bat file in your PokerStars directory on your computer (you can then create a shortcut to launch this from your desktop, etc but the actual file has to be in your PokerStars directory).

Use the Stars.bat file to launch Stars and presto, your modded alert sound is used. If you ever get a prompt to install a new version of the software you can do so, it won't change your mod (except in the extremely unlikely event where they change the original version of the alert sound, in which case you'll have to change the file in "Old" folder accordingly).

Peace,
jHE
Old 10-20-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Use the Stars.bat file to launch Stars and presto, your modded alert sound is used.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you use the file to launch stars? I click the shortcut and it opens as a text doc again.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 PM

I would like windows to be able to set the volume separately for each program running. I don't know if this is infeasible, I don't see why it would be.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like windows to be able to set the volume separately for each program running. I don't know if this is infeasible, I don't see why it would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible if you run Vista.