Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Should I CB? A Quiz.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads. Do you CB in these spots?

If you don't CB a hand, why not?

H1

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H3

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H4

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H5

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

H6

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H7

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H8

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, 2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.75, 3 players)
Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll read the other answers after this so that I can do my own thinking first.
1) Yes, only one high card. Of course I have that one. Make it big enough to hurt the draw depending on opponent because ppl like to play suited stuff from the blinds for some reason. I don't like the 4xBB raise UTG but that is another discussion.

2) Yes, the pair just makes it more likely that the flop didn't hit him.

3) Yes, usually. If you don't cbet the high flops then...what do you cbet?

4) Value bet. Ready to shove. If MP reraises and SB folds. If it goes raise-reraise I'll evaluate/calculate.

5) Check. I have a natural distrust against T and J btw.

6) Yes, but this seems to be the most interesting one regarding future developments.

7) Normally I don't want to play this. Depends on what kind of hands B flat calls in position (some maily call with PP and seldome with SC for example).

8) Check, multiway, no position, gutshot draw, might back into a flush draw. Also the see above for my T/J distrust. Two pair or at least top pair are very likely.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

All

I just put myself into the situation. IP, I bet 100% if I just sat down. I really don't care about what cards I have. I want the EASY MONIES before they start playing back at me because I CBet too much. I'll spend CHEAP dollars early to benefit later in the session. Put another way..... CBET early/always, then tighten up if you have to. I see no other way. Change the exersize by saying we have played 4 or more orbits (6Max) and all villains are competent and you have a better test IMHO.

OOP, I'll usually CBet early too... tho #8 is my closest to check of all of em.

Tell me where I'm wrong if these are examples of your first hand upon sitting down.

Full Steam Ahead! Ship It!

Holla.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A definite no: H8. OOP 3-way on a draw heavy flop. Draw heavy is when there are both flush and straights possible. You just have to check and fold this to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a different mindset from tournament poker. I don’t know if I (gulp) believe this for some reason. This seems hard to swallow that it’s a definite “no.” We’re actually way ahead of KQ here.

(H7) By the way, I check 3 way monotone boards almost 100% (without the suited card in hole). I look to dump or pressure on the turn.

(H2) With hands like this, I tend to cbet, but I bet a smaller amount, maybe just $2. It seems to work, and it’s also how I’d play it with Qx.

(H4) I think the decision to c-bet here can go both ways, and likely should be decided by your current table image. The more laggy you are (or if you’re trying to create a laggy image) then I would c-bet. Most armchair poker players don’t really know that our card equity is stronger than 99 atm.

(H5) I think this is a laggy decision yet again. C-betting here isn’t that poor given that it’s so easy to get away from this hand when called/raised. (of course, the alternative problem is that we probably don’t want to get to a showdown w/o improving, so a check/fold also has benefits). I find this quite a bit different than the AK hand on the TJx board.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Even though this is an older thread, I figured I'd take a crack at it.

*GRUNCHING*

1) We have a very solid hand preflop and we got a call from the SB. The board is somewhat helpful (with the naked K) and since our opponent has checked to us, I think this seems like a good spot for us to bet ~$3 and take down the pot.

Answer: YES

2) This is a fold for me UTG, but since we're folded to in the CO, I definitely like raising it up here. Again, the SB has called and could have a wide variety of hands, especially considering where we raised from. That being said, this is about as safe a board as we could have asked for. Fire away!

3) I'm raising PPs in any position, so this raise is fine. But this flop is kind of scary, IMO. Opponent is definitely calling in the SB with hands like QTs, JTs, etc. I check behind here and re-evaluate on the turn.

Answer: NO

4) No-brainer raise PF, and no-brainer raise on the flop, IMO. Even though the pot is 3-handed, we have flopped a monster hand and are now trying to build a pot.

5) With both the SB and the BB coming along, I'm more inclined to check this flop and pray for a 4 or a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Then again, how about betting the flop with the intention of checking behind on the turn?

Answer: ???

6) Easy raise PF, but this is a really scary board. Even though we have a pair + a FD/SD, I'm afraid we are going to get check-raised pretty often on this board. Check behind and hope you spike one of your drawing cards.

7) With the pot being 3-handed and monotone, I'm likely to check here, but I really don't like it. Then again, you could always fire at it and represent a big [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Answer: ???

8) Ah, the easiest for last. We have a great hand preflop, but this flop really didn't do much for us. Straight draws + FDs are out there. We have 3 outs to the absolute nuts, but even then opponents have some re-draws. I'm checking behind here.

Well, that was fun. Thanks to AJ for posting that, let's hope I can apply some of those concepts to my game next time I'm playing!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads. Do you CB in these spots?

If you don't CB a hand, why not?

H1

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A Q
Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: K 9 5 ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> bets $3.5 to fold better hands (missed low PP's) and for protection (not let UI broadway cards and flush draws draw for free) </font>

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A 9
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2 Q Q ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> bets $3 (paired boards don't need as big a cbet) to fold better hands like A10,AJ and protect your hand from missed broadways like JT </font>
H3

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9 9
Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A K 3 ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> checks behind. Maybe get a little value from lower PP's later in the hand, only really getting called by better hands here IMO although you are giving hands with a T,J, or Q a free card to beat you. Call a reasonable turn or river bet, but prob not both. Bet if checked to on the turn (for value)</font>

H4

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $2, MP calls $2, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3 4 5 ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> Bets $5 to build pot if flush hits, your bet is unlikely to fold better hands, or get called by much worse, although worse UI overs may peel one here</font>

H5

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 5 6
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T 3 2 ($6, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> checks to guarantee a free card to try to hit the gutshot. Better hands will have a hard time folding because this flop is so unlikely to hit you, and you also have 2 players in the hand instead of one. Unlikely to fold two better hands here. </font>

H6

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T Q
3 folds, Hero raises to $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T J K ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> Bets $4 to charge the flush draw, and also for (hopefully) the option of checking behind on turn to catch the OESD. Def. not a bet for value or hoping better hands fold.</font>

H7

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J J
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, Button calls $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q 9 4 ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red">Checks, if a non spade brick hits on turn and it's checked to you, then bet turn for $5. Better hands won't fold to this C-bet and you are not getting much value from worse non-spade hands. </font>

H8

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $2, 1 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, 2 folds.

Flop: J T 7 ($6.75, 3 players)
Hero...
<font color="red">Checks. Better hands aren't folding (well maybe if they both have low PP's)and worse hands aren't calling. Check/Fold flop, Bet turn if you improve. </font>
Old 01-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: 2 of the hands slightly modified

I see that really the only hands in this post where you're out of position the board texture makes it obvious what to do such as that AK hand with the flush draw and the gutshot draw. But what about other hands. What if someone in MP had called in the following hands so there is someone acting after you? Do you still c-bet?

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9h 9s
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, MP calls SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Ad Kh 3s ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero ??? MP....

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Ah Qs
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds MP calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Kd 9d 5h ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero ??? MP...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM

1-4 yes
5 check i have a gutshot but can't beat 7 high
6 50/50
7 yes
8 check i have a gut shot, but a cb is unlikely to take down the pot as one if not both of the cold callers probably got a piece of the flop
Old 01-27-2007, 01:08 PM

nice post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If hand 8 only has one opponent are we checking or cbetting?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think barry might have brought up a good question? what do some people think?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 AM

5) I'm aggressive and would lead out on this flop with position, and sometimes I will fold to aggressive villains. You win this hand by aggression, but checking down and seeing free cards isn't bad wither. It depends on the villains. Sometimes I make plays to see what a villain is capable of doing. It also depends on my image.

8)I charge people to draw to the nuts. No free cards from.

everything else is an easy yes from me.