Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does Vegas' location hamper it's ability to produce top-shelf sushi?

<font color="white">Expecting the answer to be no </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Myth: Sushi is "better" never frozen and therefore better at the coasts.

Truth: Almost ALL sushi consumed anywhere on the world has been frozen for a minimum of 48 hours to kill parasites and disease causing germs. It is a requirement in this country.

Also most catch is "flash frozen" by the fishing boats which are out for days or even weeks at a time.

I've been to the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo and seen the massive frozen Tuna carcasses being parted out with chain and band saws before heading to the best sushi restaurants on the planet. Pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good to know. That's a bit of a buzz kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

My former company (I just quit!) owns a fish house with a sushi bar. Almost ZERO frozen fish was used. The sushi comes packed on ice daily from the fish market has not been frozen, the fish that comes from overseas is flash frozen with nitrogen or packed in dry ice. Nobu uses many of the same suppliers that we did, I know this because we used a lot of the same staff [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Thats also one of the reasons why Nobu is pricier than most other places, costs for fresh supply are high.