Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Default AA in the BB, Everyone Limps

This happens often enough. I try to raise it enough that the people who call have a narrow range. I HATE playing big pots OOP, especially with go broke hands like AA or other big pairs.

So everyone limps, including a tight tight nit in middle and a solid player on the button. How much do I raise here?

I raise to 6x. A loose player calls early, the tight nit calls (eek), and the solid player calls on the button getting good odds for his position.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (I have spade)

I bet the pot, the first two fold, the good player does a near min-raise (maybe 2.5x). We're still fairly deep, but if we go further, it's pretty much pot-committed time. What do I do here?

EDIT: This is 6-max by the way.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: AA in the BB, Everyone Limps

Based on the action, button could definitely have QJ or 66 here. Im pretty inclined to let this one go here, although I wouldnt be happy about it. Against a weaker player I would push though.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM

I usually raise pre very heavy here. There is $12 in the pot, and you are raising $12 (giving 2:1 to just one caller). I usually make an obnoxious over-raise here to around 20-22. The good thing about this raise is that it stinks of a squeeze play, and many won't give you respect for a hand. With his raise at the flop, its tough to say where to go from here - depends a good amount on how he has played previously, also stack sizes are important here, which you didnt post. Generally, I am going to call this flop and re-evaluate on the turn. Can you narrow down his range at all? The only likely hands for him that are head are 66 and QJs. His weak raise leads me to believe he hasn't flopped a monster on this draw heavy board though.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 PM

He could have QJ or 66, but 2.5x raise with the Qs and Js on the flop seems so weak for a draw heavy board. I don't like folding this hand at the flop, esp. when holding the As.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:36 PM

Sorry about stack sizes. I think in this specific hand we were all about 100 deep.

The tough part about this hand is that the button's range is so huge. I don't have any clue what to do here.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:39 PM

So whats the plan on the turn then, check unimproved and let him get a free card to his draw if thats what he is raising with?

What does a good player have that he raises here - and I dont think that the 2.5x raise here is necessarily an indication of weakness at all - the only other likely hand is T9s
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM

The larger the button's range the more likely I am to felt with this hand. If he has QJ, you are a little worse than a 2:1 dog. If he has 66, you are obv in big trouble. As you say, the button's range is so huge, so I don't know how I pitch this hand (since only 2 of his range hands have you beaten, and you are only a major dog (15% or so) to one of them.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 PM

when one of these highly unusual situations occurs, i like to try the following:

reasonable PF raise and caution on the flop, esp. if multiway

absurd PF raise and stack off no matter what (i.e. make it enough of a % of my stack PF to completely nuke thier set odds)

when in doubt, these are the most simple approaches. i like these because i dont care about playing in these spots with grace and skill since these types of siutations almost never occur
Old 08-21-2006, 11:43 PM

I think you might be giving too much credit to this raiser. You don't think NL100 players are capable of making this raise with a KQ/AQ kind of hand? As the OP says the villain's range is huge, so putting him on only two hands here is hard for me.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I really think that a flop push to his raise is the bets play. It doesn't hurt to just get the money in there. It takes position out of the picture.

In the real hand, I just called to re-evaluate the turn. I really don't like this idea because the turn doesn't really help me.

In this case the turn was a low spade and I check/called all-in. He had something like K9s for the flush =(. I think the turn call was horrible. I think the whole hand was horrible. I'm horribly embarrassed. That is all.