Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM

Default 200, Interesting AK Line, Friend Doesn\'t Like

<font color="blue">I've been running hot. I just stacked the villian calling his UTG raise with 76s in the BB, flopping A76 and getting it in vs his flush draw + gutshot (T8s). I don't think that made him happy. He's a solid regular I see around a lot and respect his game.</font>

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $278.40
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $802.30</font>
UTG: $202.00
MP: $59.25
CO: $206.80
BTN: $423.30

<font color="blue"> I choose to smooth call here every now and then. I like to do it because people don't expect it with AK. OOP, I don't mind keeping the pot smaller (although that changes). I also notice that there was a poster in MP, which might widen the villian's opening range.</font>

MP posts $2.00
<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $10.00</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls $8.00

<font color="blue"> A very raggedy flop. I actually figured I had a good chance of being ahead. My range mostly looks like a mid-pair right now, so I like the call. If he checks behind on the turn, I'm in good shape on the river (or I may bet out depending on the turn card, although I'll usually check it to him again and often fold to a 2nd barrel).</font>

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($23) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $16.00</font>, Hero calls $16.00

<font color="blue"> I felt this turn was so awesome for me. As I said before, I was completely representing a mid-pair or a draw of some sort. The villian is a thinking opponent and likely sees the king as a scare card, so now I check hoping he bets. I feel I'm WA/WB here, but mostly WA, so there's no need to check/raise. A river diamond might be trouble though. </font>

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($55) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $42.00</font>, Hero calls $42.00

<font color="blue"> This was more feel. Again, I thought I was ahead here. I didn't want to check it to him because I figured he would give up, but I also felt I needed to get some value. I think this street is extremely debatable. I deliberately underbet because I felt I'd get more calls from a medium pair of his, and because he again might take it as a blocking bet with a mid-pair, which I was trying to represent. With that in mind, I was planning on calling a push on his part.</font>

<font color="black">River:</font> ($139) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $60.00</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises all-in to $134.00</font>, Hero calls $74.00

Pot Size: $407.00 ($3 Rake)

<font color="blue"> As I said, my friend hated it. Thoughts?</font>
Old 05-29-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: 200, Interesting AK Line, Friend Doesn\'t Like

i'd just check again. you're line is pretty strong, especially if he views you as a solid regular. i doubt he's paying off with many hands you're ahead of here when you bet the river.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM

yeah overall it's kind of a shady line. you don't reraise pf, float the flop with nothing, c/c when you hit, then minidonk the river to induce a raise?

ok you hit the turn, he still thinks his hand is good, which it might be, although it looks like he was probably going broke with this hand no matter what ... bet, bet, shove is a pretty strong line. yeah it looks like ajbutterfish is going broke here no matter what and you sir, we're just like a fly on his windshield.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM

I'd highly consider raising the flop to $40. It balances when you raise the flop with sets,two pair, and big draws.

As for the river I think its a check/call. You are only getting value out of QQ, and maybe tens so I don't see a reason to bet it. He might have missed a draw and will take a stab at it (AQ/AJ/AK diamonds possibly).
Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then minidonk the river to induce a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

when you say induce, i hope you're not implying that we induced a bluff...because this is a bluff like .004% of the time
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM

As for the river:

Am I check/folding a push? Check/calling a smaller bet? We're shallow enough that he's going to bet all-in if I check to him. If we're going to fold, then that's ok, but if we're going to call, isn't my line better?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM

Hate the river. Rest seems fine.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was more feel. Again, I thought I was ahead here. I didn't want to check it to him because I figured he would give up, but I also felt I needed to get some value. I think this street is extremely debatable. I deliberately underbet because I felt I'd get more calls from a medium pair of his, and because he again might take it as a blocking bet with a mid-pair, which I was trying to represent. With that in mind, I was planning on calling a push on his part.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the river:

Am I check/folding a push? Check/calling a smaller bet? We're shallow enough that he's going to bet all-in if I check to him. If we're going to fold, then that's ok, but if we're going to call, isn't my line better?

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think we need to call a push. our hand very under represented and we played the hand exactly as if we were on a draw or with a hand such as 99.

again, i'm not sure what hands we're getting value from when we lead the river, unless he likes to make hero calls w/hands such has QQ or AJ.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Results if it matters, he had ATo and pushed the river on a bluff. I'm not sure if the result validates anything though.