Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM

Default The min-raise. Some thoughts.

I generally hate the min-raise. I never used it myself and hate getting min-raised. To the point where it almost tilts me when someone does it to me.

That said, I have been thinking about when it may be useful to use and have tried to incorporate it into my game if only to lessen the hatred. I have found it useful to accomplish the following:

1. Gain information when holding a marginal hand I suspect is best but not sure where I stand.

2. See cheaper showdown and slow Villain down in above scenario. Part of the reason I think this works is because people associate the min-raise as a monster at these levels.

Here is an example that I think fits the above scenario and was a good use of the min-raise.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $8.75
CO: $30.42
Hero: $65.88
SB: $20.84
BB: $21.55

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls $1.15, BB folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.75, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">SB bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB folds.
Uncalled bets: $2 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $6.75

I think my hand is best. If I fold his flop donk bet I let him steal. If I call, I have no idea if he has the 7 or not and think calling is worse than folding or raising. If I raise to pot and he calls or pushes I have a harder time getting away given his short stack and will probably lose more than I should on this hand.

By min-raising, I can fold if he re-raises or shutdown if he just calls and hopefully get a cheap showdown. I think I will win the most, lose the least with the min-raise here.

Am I way off with my thinking and should continue my hatred of the min-raise or is this a solid use of the min-raise?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: The min-raise. Some thoughts.

Never raise for information alone. That is spewing.

The only time I consider min-raising is when I want to raise with a strong hand, but I suspect villain (who is drawing near dead) will fold to a real raise so I lob a min-raise at him. For instance say I have quads or the nut full house and villain with a decent sized stack woke up on the turn and starts betting into me.

I also min-raise when I play against other 2+2ers to confuse and annoy them [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only time I consider min-raising is when I want to raise with a strong hand, but I suspect villain (who is drawing near dead) will fold to a real raise so I lob a min-raise at him. For instance say I have quads or the nut full house and villain with a decent sized stack woke up on the turn and starts betting into me.

I also min-raise when I play against other 2+2ers to confuse and annoy them [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank,

I thoroughly enjoy check minraising TAGs on the flop with a wide range of hands.

Rgrds,

ness
Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thoroughly enjoy check minraising TAGs on the flop with a wide range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Times [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's more for part info/part pot-control (keep it small)/part value/part semi-bluff. The difference being I don't know which of the latter two it is. I am never raising any amount for info alone. In this case I think I'm ahead, I'm not sure, I want a cheap showdown. What line is better for the example?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard obviously.