Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Playing Sit n Go\'s

I've been bumping into a lot of text's recently about how profitable sit n go's are. The problem I have is that all the information is presented in a kind of ' Make a quick buck ' kind of way.

The advice seems to be that there's good chance that you'll make it into the money as the players at the lower stakes SnG's are poor.

There also seems to be a lot of emphasis on using poker odds calculators. I'm not a great fan of these although my experiences with them limited but I've been adviced they're a waste of time.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience playing the sit n go's at these stakes and if it's worth looking into?
I'm more of a limit holdem player and have been wanting to play more no limit in a tournament setting and I understand the sit n go's are good for getting your final table skills.

Any advice or info would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Playing Sit n Go\'s

What stakes are you talking about?

You understand that there can be multi-table SnGs and there can be single table SnGs, don't you?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 AM

Look at the STT forum. Learn ICM.

I personally feel everybody would be better off learning how to play cash games at this point.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM

i used to make about 150 a week playing 3.40 turbos on stars...

i hate it though its like being a robot there isnt a lot of "playing poker" imo. play super tight, fold borderline hands in early position especially early on, when blinds get big and you have <10BBs just shove. otherwise i always raise 3xBB- but like i said- just play tight goal is to make money then win not to get first or bust.

i expect it will take 30-50 SNGs to get the hang of it and then you are just printing money... very slowly.

also i would suggest using excel or a program to track your results/where you finish/ %itm etc and keep notes on how you busted so you can learn.

gl sry for long post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 AM

thanks for the replies.

The SnG's that were being demonstrated were single table ones. they advice to stick to stakes that are below around $20, anything above this and your bumping into really good players.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the replies.

The SnG's that were being demonstrated were single table ones. they advice to stick to stakes that are below around $20, anything above this and your bumping into really good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because STT strategy is very formulaic (weak tight early, pushbot late), most players can play many tables at the same time. I'd suggest reading the STT Startegy forum here to learn more about SNG strategy.