Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Default wierd comment, and repeated again. my move?

playing some 1-2 nl and i complete in the sb with QJhh in a straddle pot. we go 5 handed to the flop. flop J 7 2 with 2 hearts. i lead guy to my left raises me, i 3 bet him and he goes all in and i call. he has KJo i make my flush on the river. we make some small talk about the hand, coinflip, the moneys goin in, yadda yadda.

so he pulls out some money and the dealer says coming back in? he says "yeah go ahead and deal, he is paying for my blind" ("he" was referring to me). i dont respond because i dont really know what he said and didnt realize that was directed towards me at the time. after a few seconds he says ohh so it looks like youre not going to post my blind for me. i now realize he actually wanted me to post his blind and i give out a little chuckle and smile to keep it friendly.

a few hands later i scoop a pot and he says something along the lines i cant believe you didnt post my blind for me. i just say when you win your chips back then you can post youre blinds with my money. in a very friendly tone with a smile. not trying to be an ass here and i thought that was better then saying, no post your own blind with your own money.

should i be pissed at this guy? is this just a common brush it off and think nothing of it? thats how i felt at first but then when he brought it up again i was like WTF. how would you handle this guy.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: wierd comment, and repeated again. my move?

I would spot the SB only if I wanted him at the table and/or if we had a good previous history. If it's some random person, (and by the tone of your post sounds like he wasn't being sarcastic/joking, just lame), I don't pay. And don't care what he thinks. I really don't like to get into the (I forget the term for it) chip return. Especially if it's requested.

How large was the pot with him?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 AM

pot was about 280. i just felt like he was questioning my integrity here, which is why i decided to post this.

and he didnt want a spot. he wanted me to pay for it then basically tried to make me look bad because i didnt
Old 10-27-2007, 03:47 AM

I think the readers of your story lose something in translation. His inflection/body language/etc. is lost so it is hard to tell what he is actually trying to achieve. I say (and this is Totally IMO)every time someone asks to post their blind after I take their stack I insta-toss the blind. Make sure and say something in the exact tone he presented the question. My personal fav is,"You obviouslly need it more than me!"
I also like to toss one at the dealer at that point and say,"Let me cover the tip also, in case you win a pot."
But, if you let those little incidents like that which happen almost every night bother you....surrender playing poker immediately. Especially at the entry level.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:21 AM

For $2, I would of tossed it in for him (after just stacking him).

I once had a guy (a total stranger, FWIW), ask me for 2 red birds after stacking him. I tossed him 2 red birds. He then said he was just joking and gave them back. Pulled out more money and was a happy donator to the game for the rest of the night. YMMV.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Tell him with a smile you're still stuck 1,500 and the only people that get a vote on your money are your 3 ex wives and your parole officer.

And, btw, whether you just stacked him or not, paying his blind is a direct deduction from your win rate. Tipping the dealers is bad enough.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM

?!?! Why would you just give someone money? Did he work for the salvation army? I think you made the right decision OP.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:58 PM

I've seen such things, but not much in NL1/2 games played by strangers. Seems to happen more in NL2/5 and NL5/10 with lotsa regulars at the table. You felt (stack?) a person just as beverages are showing up and it's fairly common to pay the waitress gratuity, or if the guy's about to be a blind, sure, if it makes everybody feel warm and fuzzy go ahead and post it for him if that floats yer boat. But it seems to me very pointless.

Guy is an ass for making an issue out of it. No reason for OP to do anything more than he did...sounds like he handled it fine.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Is this an East coast thing? I've never ever seen a loser of a pot ask for any money back, nor have I ever seen a winner of a pot offer any money back.

The closest I've seen is on a friendly table and a guy is all in, sometimes a guy will toss him a "lucky chip" while the hand deals out.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:30 PM

Either post the blind, or state flat out "I'm not posting your blind, sorry". Stick the nod-and-smile routine in the muck, make it clear one way or the other, and move on. I say simply post it FWIW, keep the guy happy and four betting TPGK.