Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Default wierd turn spot

haven't played much 6max lately...

utg (unk) opens, seemingly decent tag cc on the button, i 3bet red TT in sb, very laggy bb calls, utg caps.

flop is 5h Qh 6s

checked to utg who bets, btn calls, i call(?), bb calls.

turn is 5d

i check, bb checks, utg now checks, btn bets, i...

making decisions like these are so wierd after you play alot of hu.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: wierd turn spot

[ QUOTE ]
haven't played much 6max lately...

utg (unk) opens, seemingly decent tag cc on the button, i 3bet red TT in sb, very laggy bb calls, utg caps.

flop is 5h Qh 6s

checked to utg who bets, btn calls, i call(?), bb calls.

turn is 5d

i check, bb checks, utg now checks, btn bets, i...

making decisions like these are so wierd after you play alot of hu.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would normally check raise here. buttons range should be heavily weighted towards small pairs here rather than a Q. Getting utg to fold AK would be pretty sweet.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM

I'd c/r. Think about it from the btn's perspective if he is, as you say, a decent tag.
What hands does he call the flop with? If he had a monster he'd raise for value bc no one is folding a piece of that board so we can eliminate 55 and 66. He didn't 3 bet preflop so JJ and QQ are out of his range. So he's looking more like mb 22, mb 33, mb 44, mb 99 or more likely on the pairs, 77 or 88. He could also have QJs or KQs or some suited connector in hearts that he decided to bet since everyone checked.
Raising could get utg to fold out AK, or mb even JJ. The pot is big and I've got a shot at winning it so I'll do what I can to increase my chances.

-Bill
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM

I would c/r after getting to this spot, the button can have a worse PP a decent amount and it would be weird for UTG to have you beat at this point, and it sounds like the BB could have tons of stuff. These spots are always tough, do you give thought to leading the turn in spots like this ever?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:27 AM

Anything less than raising the the turn is terrible..
You have a giant pot where your hand is very likely good (>25% of the time).. Your opponents behind you could collectivly have 9 outs against you when your hand is good (and very very likely at least 6).

Risking an additional bet (and the small possibility of two bets) to improve your equity substantially is more than worth it. (as well as preventing mistakes on future streets).

Theres also the small possibility of UTG playing it weak and checking JJ (which he may now fold)..
Altho this is likely so small it probabily shouldnt even be weighted..
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM

cr for sure. pot is huge, utg likely has AK and button's range is weighted more towards a worse hand than yours because you'd figure he'd raise the flop with a Q in such a large pot esp since you said he was decent.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM

I agree with those who checkraise the turn.

I suspect "everyone" is 3-betting preflop but calling seems better.

Your hot-and-cold equity versus a reasonable UTG opener and a sound coldcaller isn't that great. You have to hope you aren't up against an overpair but then they will usually hold most of the potential overcards. You won't stand well unless you flop a set or an overpair.

Because of your poor position your real equity is going to be even lower. When overcards come you will sometimes be pushed off the best hand. Overall there isn't much immediate value in reraising this hand OOP.

Meanwhile the 3-bet is creating serious postflop problems:

1. You are bloating the pot. The last thing you need when you flop the best pair is to encourage your opponents to school against you and draw all the way to the river with overcards.

2. If you 3-bet and they call you are going to be expected to lead the flop OOP. When you flop a set you'll miss a juicy checkraise versus the UTG PFR. When you flop a strong pair checkraising might give you better chances of protecting it. Finally if the flop is bad you will really be sorry you took the initiative. If you bet into a flop like KJx you'll lose money, but if you check everyone will immediately put you on your actual hand. Contrast with coldcalling and checking the flop when no one will have any idea what you have.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 AM

yeah i checkraised...just wanted to make sure i wasn't spewing because it seems like thats all i do nowadays.