Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Default What Would You Ask the GOP Presidential Candidates?

What Would You Ask the GOP Presidential Candidates?
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

FOX News wants to know what you would ask the Republican presidential candidates when they debate in Orlando, Fla., on Sunday, Oct. 21.

Please e-mail your question to debate@foxnews.com. Include your name, town, state and contact number for verification.

Please keep your question sharp, brief and to the point. And let us know which candidate you'd like us to ask.

Watch the debate live on FOX News Channel at 8 p.m. ET on Oct. 21 to see if your question was selected.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: What Would You Ask the GOP Presidential Candidates?

----- Original Message -----
To: debate@foxnews.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:48 PM
Subject: My question

Here's my question:

<font color="blue">"Last year, legislation was passed to ban unlawful Internet gambling. While targeted only at online gambling that was already illegal, it has affected all online gaming, including even poker. This legislation has cost America billions of dollars in lost revenues, and has resulted in an unfair restraint of trade judgment against America from the WTO. Considering the fact that the GOP has traditionally favored limited government principles:

1. Do you feel utilizing the power of big government to enact and enforce this type of prohibition on personal behavior is proper?

2. If not, do you feel the legislation should be clarified to exclude legal games of skill like poker?" </font>

I realize many who don't play poker do not see this as an important issue, but I assure you millions of Americans care deeply about this. Poker players do vote. The Poker Players Alliance (www.pokerplayersalliance.org), a nonprofit organization comprised of poker players and enthusiasts from around the United States, now has over 800,000 members. Needless to say, there are millions of additional concerned poker players in America as well. We are all energized, we will vote for poker, and we do watch the debates. I hope you'll ask the candidates this question so they have an opportunity to show America where they stand on limited government and personal liberty. It will make for a good debate question. Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Actually, the UIGEA did not cause the WTO judgment which predates it by a few years. I guess it made US farther out of compliance with the WTO judgment. I don't know if that makes much difference.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 PM

My Question: If as President you were faced with two bills: one which sought to legalize and regulate online poker, and another which sought to further curb online poker, which bill would you sign and which bill would you veto?

I asked them to give it to Thompson.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the UIGEA did not cause the WTO judgment which predates it by a few years. I guess it made US farther out of compliance with the WTO judgment. I don't know if that makes much difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

True....it's the total U.S. position over the years that has caused the noncompliance. My phrasing is a shorthand way of expressing this issue within the confines of a question. I realize it's a longshot, but it sure would be sweet if, just once, someone would ask this.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:59 AM

My question:

Why won't you all just die in a grease fire? (Except for you Ron Paul)