Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM

Default SSHE - Relevence for Small Stakes No Limit?

Hi

How relevent do you think SSHE is for small stakes No Limit?

I took the advice of this forum and got LGB and HOH and am reading now.

Both I am finding fantastic at improving my NL game, however neither are based around small stakes likt SSHE is.

Interested in the views on this.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: SSHE - Relevence for Small Stakes No Limit?

almost none.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 PM

For Small Stakes Limit, you need 2+2's "Small Stakes Hold'em" and "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Player", with the former being your "Bible".

I play exclusively 2/4 and 1/2 LHE on-line. Those two books are vital for it. I've also read SSHE. The things I took from it the most are hand ranges to open-raise with, stealing blinds, and the overall aggression you need to play with.

Since reading SSHE, I am in attack mode when I play, trying to steal blinds and pushing my edges hard, although sometimes I am too aggressive. It is almost impossible to get anyone off a hand in Small Stakes games if all they have is bottom pair and the board has a lot of paint.

Before I go to Vegas again, I will definitely read and re-read SSHE again and plan to play some higher stakes games. But for small stakes, the 2 Sklansky books are what you need, IMO.

From my experience so far, while there is some bluffing in small stakes limit, most of the time someone who raises has a hand
Old 07-29-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For Small Stakes Limit, you need 2+2's "Small Stakes Hold'em" and "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Player", with the former being your "Bible".

I play exclusively 2/4 and 1/2 LHE on-line. Those two books are vital for it. I've also read SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to "Small Stakes Hold'em" and "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Player" you have also read SSHE? So you mean with SSHE some other book than "Small Stakes Hold'em" (that is usually called SSH here)? If yes, what book?

[ QUOTE ]
Before I go to Vegas again, I will definitely read and re-read SSHE again and plan to play some higher stakes games. But for small stakes, the 2 Sklansky books are what you need, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that SSHE is not by Sklansky, and it's aimed for higher stakes than SSH (aka Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky, Malmuth & Miller)? I'm confused.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:24 PM

While SSHE is geared for limit, I think the sections on how to reliably count outs and how to evaluate the strength of your hand after the flop is a good read for new players to either limit or no limit.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I play exclusively 2/4 and 1/2 LHE on-line. Those two books are vital for it. I've also read SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think bigslick meant Winning in Tough Hold'em Games not SSHE in the latter part of his post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In addition to "Small Stakes Hold'em" and "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Player" you have also read SSHE? So you mean with SSHE some other book than "Small Stakes Hold'em" (that is usually called SSH here)? If yes, what book?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So that SSHE is not by Sklansky, and it's aimed for higher stakes than SSH (aka Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky, Malmuth & Miller)? I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clearer in my original reply. SSHE is for advanced players, for high stakes limit games (these games are super aggressive with loads of bluffing). It is not intended for these 2/4 games that are usually donkey fests, with people limping in UTG with any 2 suited cards, cold calling raises and re-raises with easily dominated hands, or calling all the way down to the river with any Ace. Anyone who plays that way in tough games will go broke fast. And you can't bluff a calling station.

You definitely do not have to read it for small stakes limit, but there are some things from it that you can still apply to small stakes games. BUT, there is A LOT of information in the first two Sklansky books I mentioned. You need to master those and get some experience playing before reading SSHE (Unless you have a photographic memory), especially if you are new to poker.

You need a thorough understanding of the basics of Limit Hold'em first. You will get that if you really study the two Sklansky books and play a lot of hands. I know they have improved my game. Then, as your poker education continues, definitely read SSHE.

Of course, these are just my opinions. Others may feel differently. But my positive results speaks for its self.

I plan to try to play some 20/40 Limit next time I'm in Vegas, so I will be studying SSHE hard before I go for that type of game.

Hope that clarifies what I meant. If not, feel free to PM me.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 AM

Are you sure you mean "Small Stakes Hold'em. Winning big with expert play" by Sklansky, Malmuth, Miller by SSHE? Because this is what we do.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM

Yeah SSHE is a limit book designed specifically for small stakes no-limit games that are filled with loose players, not for advanced players nor high-stakes games. Loads of people learn limit from scratch with that book. Obviously the various basic poker concepts apply to all poker but that was not why the book was written, according to the book itself.

Re: the OP - its relevance to NL play is limited since it is not a no-limit book.

The books you mention: HOH and LGB are relevant to small stakes NL. They are relevant to all stakes NL.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 PM

What does LGB stand for?