Crisp
Salty

For...

Halladay
Lidge
Atkins
Miguel Tejada
Lugo

Its a keeper league, we add L, K/BB and OPS Hitters Ks. I am looking to win this year, not too into the long term keeper thing right now. Im in 2nd place. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too big. Head might explode.

My general philosiphy is, if you're trying to win this year, don't trade Johan. I really doubt you are getting enough back to cover the dropoff from Johan to Halladay.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: ***August Fantasy Baseball Thread***

I think its more then enough for Johan, who while is still excellent is a little off his best. Halladay seems to have regained form. So if those 2 keep it up how they are pitching now, the difference is decent, but not huge enough to make me pass on this. It also gives me plenty of ammo for trades.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its more then enough for Johan, who while is still excellent is a little off his best. Halladay seems to have regained form. So if those 2 keep it up how they are pitching now, the difference is decent, but not huge enough to make me pass on this. It also gives me plenty of ammo for trades.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to take a closer look at this seasons numbers and the projections coming into the year. Santana is going to beat Halladay in wins, beat him violently in WHIP and ERA, and absolutely murder him in K's and K/BB. In my league, Santana is worth more than twice as much as Halladay, $45-$20. In your league, this spread will be even more violent because of the k/BB.

On the back end of your deal, I'm not so sure that Salty/Crisp isn't better than Tejada/Lugo, unless you are running a complet hack out there at short. Even then, you only need one. Atkins is better than Freddy Sanchez and Lidge is better than Wakefield, but not enough to cover Santana.

When you make a deal to help you win this year, you are trying to aquirre guys like Santana, not get rid of them. On top of that, you've got the keeper value, which you are losing violently. Rework the deal without Santana/Halladay. Your main target from that list should be Lidge, because he's the only one who's an upgrade over a league average player. Really, Salty for Lidge should be enough.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Johan
Wakefield
Freddy Sanchez
Crisp
Salty

For...

Halladay
Lidge
Atkins
Miguel Tejada
Lugo

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Johan in both of my keeper leagues, but this trade would be tempting. I probably wouldn't trade him because he's my favorite MLB player, but value wise I think you are getting quite a bit. Particularly if all those players would start for you.

We really need your full roster to make sure you would be playing all the guys you are getting and that they would be significant upgrades though.

[ QUOTE ]
When you make a deal to help you win this year, you are trying to aquirre guys like Santana, not get rid of them. On top of that, you've got the keeper value, which you are losing violently. Rework the deal without Santana/Halladay. Your main target from that list should be Lidge, because he's the only one who's an upgrade over a league average player. Really, Salty for Lidge should be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. When you try to win in a given year, you may have to give up one stud to get a number of very solid players, as OP is doing in this trade. If he drops the Santana and Halladay part out of the equation, why in the world would the other person do the trade?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he drops the Santana and Halladay part out of the equation, why in the world would the other person do the trade?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would obviously need to rework the deal. I'm not so sure that Salty isn't the second most valuble piece of the deal behind Santana.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. When you try to win in a given year, you may have to give up one stud to get a number of very solid players, as OP is doing in this trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I've seen teams do this year in and year out, and it's never worked out for them. The gameplan is the exact opposite of what you propose. You take your mediocre stars and trade them for superstars.

Halladay and Lidge together are not enough to replace Santana. Atkins, Tejada, and Lugo are not championship caliber players. This deal is a violent beating for the other team for this year, let alone in the future.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You take your mediocre stars and trade them for superstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the beginning of the year, I was very happy to have a deep team. it allowed me to play matchups, trade for need, etc.

now that we are in the stretch run, I've made a couple moves which sacrificed depth in return for upgraded starters. if I get hit with injuries I may be in trouble, but this is what I needed to do to gain points.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:55 PM

I just made another massive move. I moved...

Miguel Cabrera
Frank Thomas
Ivan Rodriguez
Randy Johnson
Eric Gagne

For

Victor Martinez
Felix Hernandez
Carlos Zambrano
Javier Vazquez
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You take your mediocre stars and trade them for superstars.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the beginning of the year, I was very happy to have a deep team. it allowed me to play matchups, trade for need, etc.

now that we are in the stretch run, I've made a couple moves which sacrificed depth in return for upgraded starters. if I get hit with injuries I may be in trouble, but this is what I needed to do to gain points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is perfect gameplan. You start out deep, figure out what you need, then trade the depth for quality. Too bad it doesn't always work out that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just made another massive move. I moved...

Miguel Cabrera
Frank Thomas
Ivan Rodriguez
Randy Johnson
Eric Gagne

For

Victor Martinez
Felix Hernandez
Carlos Zambrano
Javier Vazquez

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's better. You are basically giving up Cabrera for four guys that can legitimately help you, assuming you're going from IRod to VMart at catcher. Whether this deal actually helps you or not depends on where you are in the standings. Going from Cabrera to Atkins makes your offense is much worse, even with the big upgrade at catcher. If you've got a lot of points to gain in pitching, especially wins and ks, it could be worthwhile.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I get hit with injuries I may be in trouble,

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaand on cue Victorino goes to the DL [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]