Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Why do Universities and Colleges still use letter grades?

I've never had letter grade. Since about grade 6 I have always been give a % grade. Why do most post secondary schools use letter grades, it essentially rounds peoples marks together. If person A gets an 84 and person B gets an 81 why the hell should they both end up with a A-. It can also screw with averages, if I get a 89 and and two 84s my average should be 85.6 (or an A) however if I were using letter grades my average would be an A- (which works out to an 83). Seems really [censored] stupid to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Why do Universities and Colleges still use letter grades?

Because everything about academia is based on tradition. Cum laude, etc...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 AM

Where are you from that an 85 is an A?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you from that an 85 is an A?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

Also, umm, because it would be really dumb to try to say that "wow, this essay is really an 84, I don't quite think it's an 85." (Even tho a fair amount of my profs still gave letter grades on essays) Like, 90% of the time you can't really break people down to exact percentage points. Maybe in math/science, and even then, when you get to the higher levels of that it gets subjective in its own way too. Trying to quantify learning/knowledge to that level is just dumb.

No brainer.

What actually is bad, is the schools that don't have minuses/pluses, so everyone gets either an A or a B. That's just going too far.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 AM

As you advance into higher education you will learn that it makes more sence to place people into groups. A lot of grading is subjective and it makde more sence to have 5 groups (a lot of places just 4) than to have 100 different scores to hand out.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As you advance into higher education you will learn that it makes more sence to place people into groups. A lot of grading is subjective and it makde more sence to have 5 groups (a lot of places just 4) than to have 100 different scores to hand out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well unless they switch over to letter grades in Grad school (and they don't) this isn't true. I also really don't see the value in have 4 or 5 groups. I mean their is a huge difference between a 90 and a 97. How do you determine who the very best students are?

SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+
I thought this was fairly standard.

I understand the value for more subjective questions and papers however I don't see why the prof can't just mimic the letter system (i.e. only give out marks in multiples of 5), all the letter system really does is restrict the profs options.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well unless they switch over to letter grades in Grad school (and they don't) this isn't true. I also really don't see the value in have 4 or 5 groups. I mean their is a huge difference between a 90 and a 97. How do you determine who the very best students are?

SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

I understand the value for more subjective questions and papers however I don't see why the prof can't just mimic the letter system (i.e. only give out marks in multiples of 5), all the letter system really does is restrict the profs options.

[/ QUOTE ]

You determine who the best students are through examples of their work, recommendations, and organizations they actively participated in. Breaking them into 30 - 50 groups using a percentile grading system doesn't clarify the situation, I know that I would still initially divide people into 3 or 4 groups anyway.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you determine who the very best students are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you need to? It's not a game where you need to keep score.

[ QUOTE ]

all the letter system really does is restrict the profs options.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was teaching as a graduate assistant, I never felt constrained by using letter grades. If someone understood the material, they got an "A". If I was grading 2 very good exams, I wouldn't care which was better, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to figure out which was worth a point or two more than the other.

And I would absolutely not want to have to listen to students whining about getting a 93 when they felt that they deserved a 95. What difference does it make?

[ QUOTE ]

Well unless they switch over to letter grades in Grad school (and they don't)

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in grad school, we got letter grades for our classes and the comprehensive exam were pass/don't pass. And the class grades were usually just A, B, or C. More than a couple of C's and you generally were out of the program.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

[/ QUOTE ]

Definatly not. Standard is the following:

98-100 A+
97-93 A
90-92 A-

Same for Bs, Cs, etc

Again, if you were to start splintering by giving people a 93 at the end of the semester, then employers or whoever WILL start hiring people because someone has A POINT better than someone else. Getting a point better is the definition of subjectivity, so its better to give ranges.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he mimics the letter system, it's by definition the same thing right?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:00 PM

lol at A+'s in any post-secondary school.