Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Mandatory front page AC thread: Security in AC land

[ QUOTE ]
groups that will use as much coercion as they can get away with.

[/ QUOTE ]

There will allways be power hence there will allways be the above, it is the essence of politics.

The State being violent has nothing to do with people wanting it to be be violent. All forms of political organisation throughout history have been violent and political violence has existed alot longer than States.

Some on here have been arguing that States are historicaly more violent than other forms of political organisation. My arguement is that that this putting the horse before the cart. States are of course more violent becasuse of the capacity of violence that makes them an inevitability. Other forms of political organisation couldnt have been as violent
because those means of violence werent avialable to them.

If you gave HenryV an armoured division he would have rampaged across the whole known world with it.

It is not the public support of violence that makes States possible, but the means of violence itself, e.g. weapons etc. As weapons advance in power projection so does the complexity of social and political organisation that they engender.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM

as a funny (and not entirely serious) aside, where would security people come from?

i mean literally, who would train them.

imagine for a minute that we start from time 0 w/ an AC existance. there has never been a military and thus nobody has had any military training.

i'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of security people in private companies are ex-CIA/FBI/ and mostly marines or other armed forces folks trained exceptionally well.

so as great as all this talk is about whether or not a security company could get a monopoly...without sufficiently trained personell, there would be no security company lol.

ok well that was the funny part of my post. now for the serious part....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You really believe that there's no barrier to entry for an upstart security company trying to compete with a more experienced, entrenched, possibly violent or under-handed incumbent? If you think that, you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this hypothetical security company really is being violent towards its customers, then it's whole market is open for any one company or group of companies to come in and boot the agressor out.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, are you serious?? you think "violent security company" imlies the company woudl be violent to its CUSTOMERS lol.

how about, company A is the first security company founded. company B begins to form a company. company A kills (in a way that is hard if not impossible to link back to company A...i.e. highly trained security forces ex-marine/CIA/FBI) main people in company B.

yea, it is being realllly violent to its customers haha.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As a basic model, since security is a non-durable good, consider the case where the incumbent charges monopoly prices, but commits itself to lower prices if a competitor enters. Voila barrier to entry and effective monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are the customers in this example stupid? Why would they go back to this abusive company?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you like the customers in your example?

they go to that security company because they value their security more than the monopoly prices being charged by said company...that is the definition of a monopoly.

the only way to argue what you're saying is that people would rather pay $X for ANOTHER security company rather than the "monopoly" company's security priced at $Y where Y<X so that the company charging Y can never again charge monopoly prices.

also, there is the issue of switching. security companies are, presumably, not likely to be chosen as a commodity (i.e. on price alone). there needs to be a level of trust that is built up between company and customers.

a new security company would be hard pressed to build that kind of trust (all else equal) than an already operating secuirty company.

Barron
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as a funny (and not entirely serious) aside, where would security people come from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would sandwich artists come from? I mean literally, who will train them?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would sandwich artists come from? I mean literally, who will train them?

[/ QUOTE ]

i obviously know how they would likely come about. it was just a funny thought to me.

Barron