Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Questions about the high stakes concept of heads up nl SNG\'s

I'm used to play against normal, passive HU opponents. That's why it was a shock when a higher stakes player sat on the table. Every single pot was raised and somehow i managed to be even until the game reached mid stages. Villain 3xbetted every single time and what are u going to do. I've been used to play a kind of ABC poker and not every hand. I do it just to variate or if the player is weak. What's the concept. I can't get a single read cause i have no idea what kind of hand he has before the flop. Rags, A6o, q10, J9, KK, AA, QA, AJ. It's all so blurred. How do they do it. It becomes a crap shoot. I raised a couple of times on a stone cold bluff and made a re-raise bluff also. Otherwise the villain would have runned me over right from the start. I also started to raise more preflop but villain called my every bet. How do u win at high stakes and how do you beat that kind of player? Tight passive is propably the best play for me but i also re-raised solid hands all-in preflop. It's not hard to get a read on that though. That's how i managed to float at mid stages (25/50) and the nightmare begun. I was pretty card dead the whole time but usually i dont get solid hands before im runned over against that type of player. He also knows im playing tight so tight passive doesnt work so well than against a donkey maniac.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Questions about the high stakes concept of heads up nl SNG\'s

If he raises 3x every hand in 25-50 you're going to want to shove a ton of hands against this guy.

I don't really know any good high stakes husng players that raise every hand 3x 30bb or less deep as a standard.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM

This is my first post but I am a regular winner in the 55s, 88s and 110s on FT. So the first thing I notice is that your thoughts are very jumbled. You seem confused about what is actually happening to you and you are writing down scenarios in a disorganized manner.

What this implies to me is that you are rushing your decision on the virtual felt. You are probably panicking and making rash decisions without thinking about the reasons behind them. Likely you need to do is slow down a bit on your decisions and think about the information you acquire early in the match. By the middle stages, you should have a fairly good idea about how your opponent plays. If he begins minraising every hand on the button in the middle stages it is probably not because he has hit an incredible run of cards but because he realizes the importance of stealing your blinds.

So start 3-betting or moving all in (depending on your stack in relation to the blinds) with hands like A9 , KJs or 55. You need to be willing to gamble a little more if he is taking advantage of his button excessively. On your end, you should be minraising frequently and re-evaulating if he repops. The information you gain early in the match is critical to your decision making process in this stage.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 PM

You should be able to get a read based upon how much they are betting and how often even if you can't see their cards. If they are betting 3x every single hand then you can feel free to reraise or shove with a pretty wide range.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:50 AM

just get comfortable with shoving a wider range and know that you will be ahead of the opponents 3bet range quite often if they are doing it every hand.