Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Check the turn to keep pot small with TP 2nd kicker?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

UTG ($4)
Button ($0.72)
SB ($1.19)
Hero ($3.74)

Preflop: Hero is BB with , .
UTG calls $0.02, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.06) , , [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $0.06</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $0.06.

Turn: ($0.18) [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.18) [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.18

I am in the middle of reading PNLH and have read about the commitment threshold and keeping the pot small, so i'm pretty sure that checking the turn was ok, unless people on here disagree. Do i value bet the river?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Check the turn to keep pot small with TP 2nd kicker?

No keeping the pot small does not really apply here. As this is a limped pot it already is small. In PNL they advise you to keep the pot small when a raise puts your stack at threat. In fact since SB only has 60BB you don't mind getting the stacks in.

I would have raised preflop but as played I'd definately bet river. If SB had you beat he'd have shown some strength by now the fact he hasn't means you are WAY ahead of his range.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM

this is a really bad spot to give a free turn card, i think you need to bet 3/4+ on this turn card. there is just too much of villains range that should be charged for a look at the river given this wet of a flop. i love leading for pot in limped pots from this position and then usually playing fairly passivley/weak if i get action on out. but in this instance, the board is too wet and villain only called and the turn is a brick, such that i think you need to blast turn as well.

as far as pot size is concerned the pot is naturally smaller being that its a limped pot, so bloating under the circumstances is not quite as bad.

as played bet the river 1/3 pot.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM

This is quite the dry board, and you're nowhere near the commitment threshold of 1/3 your stack. As played, after the flop bet you've only committed 0.08 into the pot, of your original 3.74, much much less than 1/3 you're there only after about 1.25.

You're losing a lot of value by not betting out on such a dry board.

Depending on reads, I may even raise preflop since it's 4 handed and UTG just limped.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:06 PM

I think you're also losing value by not having the table covered. There are so many bad players at this level IMO you must keep your stack at a full BI.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're also losing value by not having the table covered. There are so many bad players at this level IMO you must keep your stack at a full BI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM

I really think we need to be betting flop, turn, and river here. Turn is an absolute blank, so why are we not betting? If SB bets out instead, do we just call and then c/c the river?

If you're concerned about keeping the pot small, try throwing out a blocking bet on the river ~8-9 cents, in an effort to get a weaker Q or even A9 to call. This should prevent you from getting raised, but at the same time give some value to your hand.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

bet every street for value. try pot bet on flop to charge draws and worse hands, another pot sized bet on the turn, and a sucker bet on the river. At any point you can fold to a raise, if you think you're beat. I think bet/fold all streets is probably ideal here. and raise preflop. You're missing value.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Man, 2NL is such a unique game...trying to apply things like commitment threshold and pot control are probably going to cost you value.

The issue is that people call down with so much crap, that you should be willing to commit with top pair imo.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, 2NL is such a unique game...trying to apply things like commitment threshold and pot control are probably going to cost you value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let that discourage you from learning those concepts now though. You can just add in the 2NL donkey factor along with your analysis when making tough decisions.