Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Default 25NL - TP for stacks

Early in the session, no stats yet and I didn't have any reads that could help here. FWIW that typically means that villain didn't seem to be good (limp-calling, minraising, etc), but not that bad it's standing out (like calling every bet regardless of his hand). If that's of interest, I started that session rather fast, tried to play my position and raised a lot. This hand came up before the 25 hands mark, though, so it's probably way to early to actually have an image.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25)</font>
SB ($8.20)
BB ($5.70)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($20.55)</font>
MP ($29.30)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls $1.15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($4) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.25</font>, SB folds, UTG calls $3.25.

Turn: ($10.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16.05</font>, Hero calls $8.55.

River: ($42.60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $42.60

Okay, so I know top pair isn't the best hand to push your chips in the middle with, wouldn't be with top kicker and certainly isn't with a mediocre one, either. Especially when your opponent check/calls the flop to check/raise the turn.

Now my problem here is, I have to call $8.55 for a $34.05 pot, so as long as villain is doing this with a weaker queen (like QhTh) or as a bluff (like ... never), a call here is an option - if I'm good one out of five times, if I got that concept right. As a side question, don't we have to be good here one out of two times, since this is essentially a HU all-in?

Apparently I managed to get myself into a horrible situation again and I could really use advice on how to avoid it. For this hand I'd say it's a simple check behind on the turn and call on the river, depending on the bet. But what if the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was a 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? That would be quite a drawy board, would checking behind really be an option?