Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Player out of line, Dealer asleep at the wheel

Live, FR 2-5 NL.

Drunk guy as just show up and dumped 2 buyins in under laps and has woken up a dead game. He has just rebought and still in a great mood. Drunk in two seat, regular in 5, EP in 6, me in 10.

Several limp, and I limp in the back with KQo, drunk is behind me in action. I have a very TAG image, regular and EP are smart enough to know what I have.

Flop is KKx. Everyone checks around to drunk, who cheerful bets and tells the table to fold because he has a K. EP calls, I call. At this point a regular who's been chatting up the drunk starts laughiing and nods at me and tells the drunk something like "lol, he obviously has a K" Drunk laughs it off.

Turn complete brick, checks to drunk. As drunks is obvisouly getting ready to put out a large bet regular laughs and says "What are you doing? I told you he has a K" and nods to me. Drunk says "He cant have a K because I have all 4." He makes large bet, EP calls, I call.

River Q. First Player checks, and I pause thinking on what to do. Mean while the Regular is loudly talking across the table laughing and talking it up to the drunk saying he'd better fold because I have a king.

Result: Drunk acts out of turn and goes all in before I act, EP folds, I call and stack him

I was ready to come over the table at the regular over the hand but probably should have just as mad at the dealer. Whats the move here when someone trys to sabotage a monster hand and the dealer does nothing?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Player out of line, Dealer asleep at the wheel

Tricky spot because if you make a big deal out of it you obv have the K right. How about never tip the dealer ever again, and let him know this is the reason. Also, talk to the floor after.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM

Tell the regular to STFU and not comment while a hand is in progress.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM

What's the dealer supposed to do? Hit him in the head with a shovel? The Regular is probally just talking out of his ass trying to have fun with the drunk.

I'd talk to the floor, privately.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the dealer supposed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? His job maybe?

"Sir could you not discuss a hand while its being played?"

"One player to a hand please."

"Would you STFU and not kill the action retard?"

Any similiar line during the play would have been apreciated and earned a nice tip. I guess its too much to ask for a dealer to his job?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's the dealer supposed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? His job maybe?

"Sir could you not discuss a hand while its being played?"

"One player to a hand please."

"Would you STFU and not kill the action retard?"

Any similiar line during the play would have been apreciated and earned a nice tip. I guess its too much to ask for a dealer to his job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, some of those could just kill your action.

You can't say anything because it makes it look like you have the nuts, and what the dealer says is very important as well.

A simple "Please no discussing hands" would suffice, and have the dealer take action afterwards.

I'd also talk to the floor after this about the player as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Default some nuts a gonna get kicked

I'd kick regular and dealer both in the nuts, square.

The first time jerk opens mouth during hand I don't let it slide. I have a friggin' **** fit all over the dealer and schmuckola-boy by the time it got as far as you let it go. Then I call the floor on top of the nut-kicking, hissy, and stacking chips.

Btw, this dealer gets zero tip, except that I regail 'em with an elaborate explaination of why, after floor leaves table.

A player told me recently "most dealers are just bumps on a log, waiting around to get tipped." That really bothered me because it's so friggin' true. These schmucks don't give a fudge about poker, but they sure jump on the easy money bandwagon real fast. Now they're in but they still don't give a damn anyway. These dealers are quite lucky to ever get a buck from me. I tip extra to dealers who care about poker and try do do a good job, try to improve. I even tip extra to new dealers who aren't very good, as long as they are trying and working towards getting better.

I'm not a bump on a log. I try hard and always want to get better. I expect the same in return.

Al
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: some nuts a gonna get kicked

Criminey!

I'm in Al's boat in that I'm frustrated at dealers who don't respect the game. I confess I'm new to the dealer side of things, and have only been playing more than kitchen table games for a few years, but I have tremendous respect for the game and the players. The dealers who don't understand these nuances and why they're important make my job more difficult as players learn they can do crap like this.

I don't think I could go so far as to never tip the dealer again, but I would certainly give a harsh WTF?! sort of reaction immediately after the hand, and I would probably speak to a supervisor (unfortunately, the floor is the worst person to talk to, but is the person you should start with).

If I were in the box and let this slide on such a huge pot and the player stacked tens of thousands of dollars in chips and told me he was never tipping me again, I would apologize profusely and tell him he was 100% right.

This is nothing difficult to do at all, especially if it's a regular talking to a drunk. The drunk is easily distracted and will not notice me getting the attention of a regular, who should better friggin' know friggin' better. If I'm able to get his attention without the drunk noticing, I tell him in no uncertain terms to STFU. If everyone's watching and it would affect action, I try to be as, "hey, c'mon guys, leave your theories to yourselves," as possible, but still stressing that it is not acceptable to talk any further at all, with probably some glaring.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM

...however...

How big of a tipper are you? It's possible the dealer didn't want you to stack someone who would likely hit huge suckouts and rain chips on him. I'm not saying this excuses his behavior, just that it makes it a little more understandable. We're all humans with weaknesses, after all, and this is the dealer's income, too. If he feels you're not looking out for his bottom line, he may feel justified in not looking out for yours.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 AM

My usual contrarian position, on behalf of the dealers:

Every time we tell a yapping player to shut up, WE GET THE DIRTY LOOKS. Not just from the yapping players. Other players, who see nothing wrong with such table talk, take offense to the suggestion.

All I'm saying is, next time a dealer asks a player to stop talking about the hand, and the yapper or some by-stander starts giving the dealer a hard time about it, show the dealer that you have his back! Take some of the heat for the dealer.

If the dealer has to take all the heat, don't hold your breath.

(I can't believe my SpellCheck doesn't like "contrarian".)