Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Limp behind a higher pair limp? (Stud)

If I have a low pair deuces through nines kicker isn't higher than the limper's door card. Should I limp behind a limp of a premium door card (ten and up) or fold.

Also should I limp a lesser premium pair door card if the higher one limps or should I complete putting him on a drawing hand?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Limp behind a higher pair limp? (Stud)

I think both of these questions are tough to answer in a vacuum.

I would think a limper with a Ten or higher kicker who limps probably doesnt have a big pair, otherwise they would probably raise (unless you have reason to think otherwise based on a read). Given that, I think you can either, raise, limp or fold depending on the number of players yet to act, what their cards are, and what you think they might do. I know thats not a great answer, but that is why stud is hard.

2. This gets to my assumption in 1. and I think the answer is the same. If there are no other players left and villain is the only limper I would consider a completion. If someone limps with a broadway card I would be somewhat wary if he picks up others along the way because that limp is often just "high bag" overcards.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 AM

In the scenarios you describe, I might limp, raise, or fold, depending on my position, what's left behind me, how live my hand is, what I figure the limper's range is, etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 AM

That is one crazy thing about stud games, is that it's so.. "it depends"

In holdem you only know your cards and some basic info about the people behind you, so it's easier to generalize. With stud it's not just what cards are left to act, and what cards have already acted, but also WHO folds that up cards you're most afraid of, etc. It's nutty. Razz isn't so bad because it's just a quick scan for low cards and suits don't matter. I ignore high cards except to note how many there are. PLUS in stud you have much more serious 3rd st issues to deal with since you can be such a huge dog on 3rd, wheras with a decent starting hand you are NEVER a huge dog on 3rd in razz.