Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 09-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Would you stand up after tripling up?

Would you leave a cash game early if your stack got "too big"? This question is partly prompted by reports of Chris Ferguson's bankroll management scheme, whereby he just turned $0 in $10K (I think) online. His rules were that he bought in with at most 5% of his bankroll, and left if his stack grew to more than 10% of his bankroll. I agree with the 5% sit-down bit, but I'm not sure about the 10% stand-up - although I've heard "leave if you triple your buy-in" espoused before.

I was pondering this after a couple of online NL50 sessions this weekend. In one, I'd grown by stack by around 170%, then got knocked down by couple of, er, unfortunate hands, and finished at +14%. In the other I was doing even better - >200% growth - and then had my decision to leave made for me when the little one puked all over the carpet [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].

In the second session after doubling up I also loosened up, playing more speculatively preflop and making more continuation bets, which seemed to work more than before, presumably due to the other's fear of stacking.

Of course, the answer to my original question is, it depends - in the second session I was clearly more alert as to how I could use the big stack, rather than in the first where I just got a bit reckless ("oh he can't bust me so I'll go ahead and call").
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Would you stand up after tripling up?

If you are beating the table, then I would stay. If a player is better than you, and has more chips, than you should probably try to avoid him or leave. If there is a horrible player with close to as many chips as me, I definitely stay.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd grown by stack by around 170%, then got knocked down by couple of, er, unfortunate hands, and finished at +14%.

[/ QUOTE ] so what? If you have the biggest stack it doesn't matter. If you don't feel comfortable playing deep when there are actually players who threaten the majority of your stack, leave the table.

[ QUOTE ]
in the second session I was clearly more alert as to how I could use the big stack, rather than in the first where I just got a bit reckless ("oh he can't bust me so I'll go ahead and call").

[/ QUOTE ] you should think in terms of effective stacks, not what you have because what you have doesn't matter, at all.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Deeper stacks take more skill to play. If your one of the best players at the table then you should have an advantage with a deeper stack. If your one of the worst then consider ratholing.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM

would have saved me money today, or i could have won even more if the drooler doesn't hit his 2 outer
Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are beating the table, then I would stay. If a player is better than you, and has more chips, than you should probably try to avoid him or leave. If there is a horrible player with close to as many chips as me, I definitely stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Stay if you are getting the best of it regardless of the size of your stack. If you are more likely to redouble your stack than lose it all, stay. Be aware of your opponents and aware of your own mental state. Tired people don't play well, so factor that in.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:38 PM

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned in these discussions is the effect your big stack can have on the table.

Some villains tighten up and play scared because they don't want to get stacked by someone who is on a roll (or who is better than they are). Others start taking shots at you because they don't want to be run over by the big stack.

It's very possible for the table dynamics to change in such a way that it's no longer as profitable as other tables. In which case you should leave. Or, you may have trouble adjusting to these conditions in which case you should probably also leave.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:49 PM

I agree with CMAR that it does change table dynamics, but I almost always find these things very exploitable. I tend to get more respect than I deserve and can use this to take pots away very easily. I love to play deep and never consider leaving just because I'm deep, but may leave if the table conditions begin to suck a lot.

A huge advantage to playing deep is that you can run some huge bluffs that will make you a good chunk of money and help your winrate. Multistreet bluffs are very profitable because they build the pot on early streets before taking it away on the turn or river and thus make you more money than most bluffs.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:52 PM

I generally view it as a good thing. However, I will leave if I have poor table position versus competent regulars who also have large stacks.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with CMAR that it does change table dynamics, but I almost always find these things very exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, absolutely, if you can exploit this then def don't leave. But I think anyone considering leaving because they just got a big stack is probably not particularly confident in their game and/or they're fairly ABC TAG. I don't think this is much of a question for really good players except in certain circumstances.

For myself, I'll pretty much only leave if I'm super-multitabling (20+) and therefore can't really give any one table the kind of concentration needed to run deep plays. Also if I have position problems with other good/aggro deep stacks (ie: a lagy deep stack to my direct left).