Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: AA - Comments please

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the flop so dangerous?

[/ QUOTE ]

because there are straight and flush draws out there, plus the possibility of 2 pair. there are a number of hands you are now only marginally ahead of therefore u cannot give them a good rice to draw.

PF is awful. min raise gives opponent good odds to outdraw you, gives away your hand, and fails to build a pot that u can get AI easily against hands u dominate.

the flop bet is miserable - make a proper bet and cut the implied odds so that if u r called your opponent is making a mistake. as played, it is u who is making the mistake.

there isn't much point in getting tricky at the micro stakes with AA/KK unless u know your opponent well, the majority of players are simply not observant enough for plays like that to be +ev. on a short stack with AA just make it $5 PF then shove the flop.... u will win most of the time
Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks for all the comments!!

Really helpful.

For those who are interested he showed K 9 so I won this one....but understand from the comments the things i should have done differently.

Cheers all
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

With OP's stack size, I like the mini raise. Puts the SPR at 4 and all OP needs to think about is getting his stack all in on the flop. 4 is a perfect spr for AA which makes either a set or an overpair. Pot is going to be heads up. I would prefer a bigger bet on the flop, so if he just calls, you can get it in on the turn. As played, its an insta call to the re-raise.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

Question for OP: Why the minraise?

If the answer is "because it will build the pot, give me a good SPR and keep villain in the hand with a miserable hand which he might stack off with because his stack is so short" then the minraise is good.

If it was because you saw AA and though "I want action and I don't want him to fold", then your reasoning was flawed.

I think the minraise is fine here because it accomplishes everything a larger raise does (forces villain to commit his entire effective stack with a weak hand on the flop) while avoiding the drawbacks of a larger raise (which is that you are essentially telling villain you want to play for stacks). If villain has a hand he's willing to play for stacks with, the result will be the same no matter what the hand. If he has a hand like KJ, though, you'll get more value by minraising. Though to be honest, probably a 1.5 raise would be a little better because he's going to still call with most of his hands and it'll be a little easier to get stacks in when he makes a 2nd best hand.

For the people saying that a minraise allowed KJ to draw out on you, KJ is getting nowhere near the odds to call against AA with these stack sizes even with a minraise. And what is KJ going to do when he flops top pair? So yeah, he'll get your stack the fraction of the times that he flops two pair or trips, but the times he flops top pair, and sometimes even middle pair, you'll get his stack.

As for set mining, this really isn't an issue at this point. Yes you will stack off if he has a pair and hits his set and he will not have made a mistake. However, there are so many other hands in his range from which you can get value by minraising, sets should not be the main concern.

As played, on the flop it's time to start building. Bet 2/3 the pot and force him to commit. Get the chips in the middle. Either he has a hand he's willing to commit with or he doesn't. With an SPR of 4 you should be happy enough to get it in.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM

rr to 3.5 pf and happily get ai on the flop