Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Basketball rules question...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this USED TO be the rule. Kids on the play ground would call it "self pass." But about 7-10 years ago they changed the rule in the NBA that if the ref determined that your intent was to shoot at the basket(but you just missed completely) that it was legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still can't go get your own airball in NBA. Always could and still can at other levels (NCAA-M, NCAA-W, NFHS).
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got another bball question. 4 seconds left in the game, my teams up 2 points and I know the other teams going to try and foul. If I take the inbounds pass and immediatly throw it as high in the air as I can, can the other team foul me while the balls in the air, or do I win as long as the ball stays up four seconds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this in a game once....I threw the ball too hard and it was a college gym so we didn't have the huge arena, and the ball hit the ceiling and the other team got the ball back and sent it to OT. Luckily we won in OT.

Also I believe that Magic Johnson rolled the ball down the court to take time off in a playoff game(I think against the Blazers) once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone commit a loose-ball foul away from the ball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Term "loose-ball foul" is an NBA-only term. And yes.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM

Here is a fun one:

What is the penalty for reaching?

How about over the back?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are fouls. Also, if you intentionally foul a player without the ball, it is two shots and the ball back.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are fouls. Also, if you intentionally foul a player without the ball, it is two shots and the ball back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very "fun." I'm pretty sure Bulldog is playing off the fact that going over someone's back isn't a foul; it's when you are on their back that is the problem.

-McGee
Old 12-27-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very "fun." I'm pretty sure Bulldog is playing off the fact that going over someone's back isn't a foul; it's when you are on their back that is the problem.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean if you jump clear over his head? Well, that's not a foul, but I've only seen it happen once, here.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a fun one:

How about over the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, neither are fouls. You won't find either term in a rule book, even though some older officials will incorrectly use them. There MUST be contact to have a foul, so a clean reach by a player going for the ball, or a rebound snagged from behind aren't fouls. In fact, while "reaching", if you hit the opponent's hand while in contact with the ball, also no foul. Wrist, arm, different story. That's a hold, a push, or illegal use of the hands.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:29 AM

I was assuming that by reaching you meant that the defender attempted a steal and hit the arm or body, which would be a foul. It is true, though, that a clean reach is not a foul. Here's another one: you are in the frontcourt on offense and being pressed. A teammate in the backcourt tries to advance the ball to you. You jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

Here is an example of some poor officiating: One time one of my friends on our team shot a three, and on the way down he tripped and fell over a defenders foot. The ref called him for a technical foul! He said that my friend had flopped on purpose to try to get a foul call on the other player. First of all, it wasn't a flop and secondly, there is no penalty for flopping! Our team still gives him a hard time about that one.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming that by reaching you meant that the defender attempted a steal and hit the arm or body, which would be a foul. It is true, though, that a clean reach is not a foul. Here's another one: you are in the frontcourt on offense and being pressed. A teammate in the backcourt tries to advance the ball to you. You jump from the frontcourt, catch the ball in the air, and land in the backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, that since the ball has never crossed the midline, it's not backcourt.

-McGee
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 AM

The ref may or may not actually call this, but it is technically backcourt. The player in the air has not established himself as a backcourt player yet, so he cannot catch the ball and land in the backcourt. His feet must first touch backcourt for it to not be a violation.