Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2006, 11:51 PM

Default .25/.50 PL O8 hand

Any thoughts on my play on this hand? Especially on the turn and river?

Ultimate Bet Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($23.50)
UTG+2 ($25)
Hero ($40.60)
MP2 ($24.15)
MP3 ($46.40)
CO ($66.80)
Button ($25.95)
SB ($9.50)
BB ($31.70)
UTG ($81.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, Button calls $1.50, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($7.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $16.

River: ($47.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ????
Old 04-16-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: .25/.50 PL O8 hand

Don't really like the best on the turn, except maybe for promo raise reasons. You have a flush that's more than likely beaten, and you have a counterfitable nut low draw. I'd more than likely check/call the turn.

River I'd either call a small bet, check or fold to a big bet as you may be scooped here, as it's possible for Button to have the A34x of diamonds or something like that, even though I think you have an ok reason to believe you are getting half the pot, but then you are putting money in the pot for the chance of making your money back.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Take my analysis wiht a grian of salt (i suck)

-I like your bet on the turn for the purposes of finding out where you stand with a weak flush
-Your opponent makes it pretty clear that you are behind

I'd bet/fold the turn there. I don't like check/call cause you'd be calling a pot bet (7$ instead of betting 4$) and would be none the wiser.

The way you played the tunr I would probabaly check/call the river, keep it small if your about to get quartered or worse. Maybe a blocker bet if you feel ballsy, could backfire, depending on how aggro your opponent is.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet/fold the turn there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] insane?

OP, you could've even raised the flop (I would've)--this can often fold out the nut flush draw, which it looks like the button had in the end. On the turn, your objective should be to get the maximum amount into the pot, because even though it looks like the nut flush for the button, sometimes he's just sitting on another A3; so reraise when the action returns to you. On the river, absolutely lead for the max, that was a terrific card for you. Think about it--the only hand that has you in trouble is A4 + flush. Sure, that'll be shown down sometimes, but only very rarely, and you are guaranteed a +EV bet there.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM

PF- standard.

Flop- Raise here. You've got the nut low draw and a flush draw, good enough to raise, plus it will define your hand.

Turn- I like this action, and no way do I fold here, ever, because a lot of players at this limit make this play with a lot of hands you beat.

River- Puuuuuuuuuuuuush.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could've even raised the flop (I would've)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree. In fact, this is way better than calling here. The only people caling a reraise on this flop have the nut flush draw AND a low draw to go with it. There's a good chance to either take this pot down immediately, or fold out higher flush draws. You'll also certainly get A4 to fold, helping you if a 3 comes.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, your objective should be to get the maximum amount into the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think that the OP's turn lead should have been for the pot, rather than half the pot, I can't see why we want to continue with the hand once button pots it back. Unless button is hyper aggro, there's no way he's putting his stack in here without the nut flush. A lower flush and a low draw is not going to do this. Given that, you shouldn't be calling a pot bet drawing to half the pot. Isn't that a clear fold?

Now that we've actually seen the river, it gave us a low, and the button only has about $5 left, in a $47 pot, put in the last $5 and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Oops, I thought there was a low already on the turn. I'd c-c the turn.

Then lead river.

Now I see what the bet-fold guy was talking about... however, that's still the worst option of c-c, c-f, b-f, and b-c.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Button only had about $4 left on the river, so obviously you call that. HU he's rarely going to have you in bad shape both ways.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out the button had the nut flush and A4, so I got scooped. PT later rated him as a fish, but that doesn't really matter when he has the nuts. In hindsight I wish I raised a little more PF and pushed the flop. I only lost half my stack. Won it back soon after.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:25 AM

Whoops, after reading your results scratch what I said. I didn't realize his screen name was "Button".

There were two nuggets of wisdom my Grandpappy taught me:

1. Never sleep with a hooker named "Daisy", because they rarely smell like one.

2. Never play poker against a man named "Button", they will have you in bad shape both ways.

Sorry for the confusion.