Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: RYANCMU teaches struggling NL50 and NL100 players

[ QUOTE ]
What is the ideal ratio of bong hits to open tables?

Does this change if you are stacking or tiling?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, love the picture you posted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ehh, its no secret I love the MJ.... I can't remember a serious session where I wasn't high.

I think having something whether it be cigarettes, the occasional drink, weed. Just to help curb the emotions while playing is nessecary for many of us.

Pot helps me keep a level head when variance is not going my way and keeps me thinking objective about situations as I play.

Emotional control is such a huge factor for poker players, and weed just happens to be my anti-tilt.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That cat looks human and it creeps me out when I see it.

Nice idea Ryan. Where are those vids you procrastinator??

[/ QUOTE ]

Videos soon... Ran into a few problems w/ encoding them and not haivng the audio sync. And I also lost a few of them when I had a computer crash, soon though I promise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Getting maximum value vs donks & not being a total pansy on turn and river.

There are sooooo many horrible players at SSNL, and these players are paying off w/ so many marginal hands...

You need to get comfortable trying to get 3 streets of value w/ lots of your hands vs these players.

This means, STOP CHECKING THE TURN THROUGH so much. People way to much at SSNL check the turn through under the guise of "pot control." The players are horrible for the most part, load up the bus to valuetown and maximize our profits.

Learn to bet the river more also, you need to learn to be valuetowning marginal hands on the river.

Lern how to hand read better, put your opponent on more accurate ranges, valuetown your hands vs those ranges. It's simple, yet so many players don't valuebet thin enough or near enough in general at SSNL.

I know this is broad and general... But all you need is to hear it once, then work on it on your own. So next session you play, look for more opportunity's to be getting maximum value from your hands.

Alternately, think of creative lines where you ca extract post flop more... Vs. bad players your concerns should be how do I get the most from my showdown worthy hand, not just how do I get to showdown.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Situations vs. Stat.

Way to many SSNL players are concerned w/ the "big 3" stats. VPIP/PFR/AF. While these stats defiantly are important and can tell a lot about a player, they aren't the end all be all of a SSNL player.

Worry more about finding situations to up your VPIP and PFR, not just asking what hands should I play UTG?

Look for situations where u can isolate a weak limper w/ a raise. If the table is playing very passive, open up and start abusing them.

Again, I can't stress it enough, look for spots to be agressive or spots to be in more pots. Don't just try and do so because you heard that 14/10 style is ideal.

Poker is a situational game where we take in the information available to us and make the best decisions. Adapt to your situations, use your superior hand reading skills, make good sound plays, your PT #'s will show this.

Again, focus less on having pretty stats and more on playing sound good poker and finding situations where specific actions are appropriate.

Furthermore, VPIP/PFR/AF are not everything stats are to offer. Learn the importance of other stats such as WTSD, att to steal, etc.

Hopefully, this will get you thinking more about recognizing situations to do X action, moreso then doing so because well if I want my PT stats to be at Y point, I should do this.

Way to often people ask like "how to do I get to 15/12, or how do I up my agression" The answer is, become a better poker player and your stats will fall into line.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

You should stop now, this thread is gold enough lol
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Resources available to us; 2p2, Programs, etc.

Today is the best time in age to be a poker player, there is so much information available out there that can improve your game. Learn to take advantage of it.

So many members on 2p2, yet so many losing players...

You need to learn to post more hands, reply to more hands, get involved in the hand review sessions, find people through 2p2 to talk poker w/ away from forums. By just lurking and occasinally posting, you are giving up so much as far as developing your game. Mainly just BE ACTIVE.

Learn to use programs like Pokerstove to play w/ ranges and analyze common situations. Renton talks about this sometimes, and its something I think not nearly enough people use as a learning utility.

Pokertracker is more then just a program to track your WR and stats. Learn to use it to help improve your game.

I know you hear it a lot but it needs to siad again - Put in just as much work away from the tables on your game as you would at the tables.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 PM

I think an important part in a poker players progression, is when they learn that its ok to stop multi tabling and sacrifice the hourly for a short term, so that they can become a better player.

So many robotic TAG players that are just giving up money and hurting their games by never taking the time to cut down on the tables and improve.

My advice to any struggling player, is to for the next few sessions you play cut down your tables to 4-6 and just focus on your play. The small $$ you sacrafice in short term hourly, will be worth it by the improvments you will make in your game.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 PM

CHange thread name to "chicken soup for the pokerplayers soul"
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM

The most important question to ask yourself while playing.

Next, time you play a session before you make a decision ask youself this...

"Why am I doing what I'm doing?"

Having to rationalize and defend your play while your playing to your harshest critic, yourself. Will make you a better player. It will get you thinking about the game on a deeper level and get you working over in your mind why you are making these players, rather then just being on autopilot.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM

Any suggestions how I can practice hand reading? For example, fire up 4 tables, tile them and start playing and think each hand and look what opponents doing. It would be good exercise? Or anyone have better ideas?