Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: elindauer is in the well

Not really, just tell me how it goes.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, i should say (if you're still building it) - how will you go about using it in your games?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi Kit,

I will use the range calculator to explore hands in great depth, an exploration I cannot do at the table. The hope is that thinking about hands very deeply will help me to make better decisions in real-time at the table.

See analysis like this post about capping flops. Now I have a much better idea about how to handle my entire range on a board like this. My decisions in spots similar to this will surely be better for having done this.

thanks,
Eric
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 AM

I'm thinking about spending actual money on your range thingey so I perused your website today. This led to some questions.

1. My confusion has reached new depths. I read your article about SLAG vs. TAG play. Interestingly (for me at least), before I started participating in the forums on a daily basis I had kind of stumbled onto the basic concept without realizing it. Without the background in traditional TAG play and a solid grasp of the fundamentals I, as you can probably guess, went broke several times playing this way while misapplying the idea. Is it best for a player to be a TAG before moving onto SLAG play? If not, how would one go about developing that kind of game without breaking myself again? Does TAG play work best at the lower limits I'm playing right now and SLAG is something to be used to beat bigger games for more bets? Does any of this make any sense at all? Like I said, I'm confused.

2. In your 2006 goals page you listed as a goal "stop posting on/reading 2+2." Why are you back? Does your return to the forum have something to do with trying to generate passive income? (BTW, when you figure out the passive income thing, pm me. We'll talk. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Also, you mentioned that 2+2 is time consuming and that you didn't want to engage in "negative, arrogance driven flame-wars" anymore. My experience with the SSLHE forum has been largely arrogance and flame-war free, so what are you referring to? Has something changed since you stopped posting regularly?

3. I see that you have coached in the past. Your process refers only to reviewing hand histories. How would you go about coaching someone that only plays live?
Old 11-22-2007, 04:29 AM

I just wanted to add that I think my confusion comes from the pace at which I'm learning. I'm processing so much new information that I'm having trouble organizing it into a coherent set of ideas. I'm putting in this new bit and this new bit but I'm being overwhelmed by the volume and it's tough because I'm processing all these bits in a vacuum.

You ever see the movie "Blow"? There's a part where they have the apartment after George gets out of the joint the first time and they start selling coke. Soon, they're making so much money they have nothing but cardboard boxes full of cash all over the apartment. One day, George, after weighing yet another box to verify that it has $500,000 in it, is walking all over the place trying to figure out where to put the box and he can't find space for it. Then he turns to the Columbian guy he's running with and says "We're going to need a bigger boat." That's how I feel right now.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it best for a player to be a TAG before moving onto SLAG play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I presently think that the best way to learn is to do something like the following:

1. work on understanding default play. That is, how should you play your hands if your goal is just to break even? How would you play against the best player in the world?

2. simultaneously, watch for opportunities to exploit weaknesses in your opponents' games. So you analyze a hand by saying "if I was playing a great player, I'd do this and sleep easy, knowing he can't beat me. But against a bad player I do that, because of this reason.

3. slowly expand your repertoire and ease of doing #2. Reach a point where you can find flaws in virtually any players game and know how to exploit them.

4. Move on to attempting to manipulate the game your opponents are playing (slag play). Learn to drive them crazy by making small mistakes, and use that tilt-inducing play to drive them into large mistakes, which you then exploit. By the way, I'm not good at this. Easier said then done.

Frankly, this last step is much more applicable to a game like no limit. In limit, it's really hard to pull off, although it does lead to your largest possible profit.

[ QUOTE ]
In your 2006 goals page you listed as a goal "stop posting on/reading 2+2." Why are you back? Does your return to the forum have something to do with trying to generate passive income?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very insightful. Yes, that's part of it. But it also has to do with...

[ QUOTE ]
My experience with the SSLHE forum has been largely arrogance and flame-war free...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed this too, and like the trend. So I find posting here less frustrating then in the past.

For me, this may have to do with the fact that I have a much better understanding of the game then I used to, and tend to only reply to people that are interested in logic and math anyways. I used to try to convince everyone I was right, which was of course impossible (rightfully so, since I'm not always right).

edit: it may also have to do with the fact that I don't have any "real" work to do for the rest of the year! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
How would you go about coaching someone that only plays live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I once held a two day school at my house, where a couple guys came and we essentially played poker and talked about the game for eight hours a day. They were online players, but for live players, I'd probably do a similar thing. I have never actually coached live players before though.

That said, I'm not much interested in coaching these days, and usually discourage people who request it. I think you can get the value of my coaching for less money in other ways.

thanks,
Eric
Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm processing so much new information that I'm having trouble organizing it into a coherent set of ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever you make a decision, try to come up with two answers.

1. What would you do if your opponent knew exactly how you played all your cards?

2. What will you do, given the opponent you are actually playing?

To start out, you'll only be able to do this with much thought and discussion. After a while, these concepts will slowly sink in, and you'll start taking it to the table. Wash, rinse, repeat.

-eric
Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Default HUD help

I'm getting back into "real" poker, and am trying to figure out what HUD to use. Any recommendations?

thanks.
Eric
Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: HUD help

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting back into "real" poker, and am trying to figure out what HUD to use. Any recommendations?

thanks.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

i used poker ace for a while, but when they wanted me to pay for it i just started using gametime plus again. this was after i quit playing online limit and started playing a ton of live NL. like you, i've recently started playing more over the past couple months but have failed to get "current" with my graphic overlay(cashed out bankroll for a variety of reasons: bought a house, online legislation, live play bankroll, etc.).

so basically i'm saying i look forward to seeing responses to your question.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: HUD help

[ QUOTE ]

thanks.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is any doubt that PAHUD is the way to go. They are also coding the new Poker Tracker which will be coming out at the end of the year. This program is touted as being quite an improvement.

software forum thread