Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Red Sox Trade Arroyo to Reds for Wily Mo Pena

LOL, Arroyo is a flyball pitcher going to one of the smallest parks in the country. He is gonna be just as good as Eric Milton was. The Reds FO is not too bright.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nate, care to give us a preview of BPros take on this? I have to see it as a huge + for the red sox as PECOTA values pena over arroyo and pena is still cost controlled (not sure about cash in this deal).

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, it's a fine deal for the Sox. But you knew that.

[ QUOTE ]
i am confused as to why cincy would do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of times, teams will think of "need" in a very literal way. The Reds clearly "need" some pitching. But, there really isn't any benefit in filling that need unless you have a surplus somewhere else; otherwise you just shift that need to a different position.

Basically, the Reds belong with the Rockies and the Royals on baseball's short bus.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because of an overcrowded outfield, weak pitching, and an offense that is already very good. Peņa is decent, but I would rather have Kearns, Griffey, Dunn out there. Peņa's defense is rather lackluster.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because of an overcrowded outfield, weak pitching, and an offense that is already very good. Peņa is decent, but I would rather have Kearns, Griffey, Dunn out there. Peņa's defense is rather lackluster.

[/ QUOTE ]

remember they have a 1b need because they dealt casey.

and for why this f-s me in fantasy, go look at pena's rank vs production.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but they still suck and traded a possible stud. i mean, what does this deal do for them? make them a 75 win team instead of a 74 win team in 06?

just seems the reds should stockpile these young guys and worry about pitching when it will actually matter. also, i think pena is a better bet going forward than kearns, and i love them both.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:08 PM

check out some of those dingers.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:27 PM

My first thought was that the Reds would play Scott Hatteberg at 1B and move Dunn back to left, and that may very well be what they actually do. He's been having a great spring, as has Dewayne Wise, a blazing fast CF who played some with the Braves last year.

It does seem like kind of an odd deal for the Reds to give up a guy who seemingly has a lot of potential, but...they get a young, cheap, serviceable SP to bolster the rotation, and gave up a pretty brutal defensive OF who, while sporting amazing power, has no plate discipline and is gonna be a low OBP guy. There is absolutely no comparison between him and an OPS machine like Dunn. Although I do think he'll maul left-handers platooning with Nixon, which I guess is what the Sox want him to do.

As a Reds fan I'd probably rather have Pena than Kearns, as Kearns has just been consistently awful, but a lot of ppl apparently still see something in him, and Pena has some red flags.

All in all I'm happy with the deal, if for no other reason than I'm just glad they're finally DOING something. Last summer was a disaster that they didn't get anything done. I'm a little wary of Arroyo becoming the next Milton, but I trust Krivsky a lot more than I did O'Brien. I think he might actually know what he's doing.

Now if someone will just take Griffey before he gets hurt...
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, i think pena is a better bet going forward than kearns, and i love them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Pena is a little better bet going forward, but what is there to love about Kearns? A lot of ppl seem to agree with you, but...he's been pretty awful and looked bad doing it. Also a lot of questions about work ethic, attitude, etc...last year he was overweight, blasted the organization for not playing him every day even though he was awful, so they sent him to AAA where he could play every day and told him to lose some weight and he blasted them for that too.

I just don't see a lot to be optimistic about. All he has on his resume is a good half-season 3 years ago. Been pretty terrible since then when not injured which has been often.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM

If the Sox were gonna make a trade...they shoulda traded for a third baseman. Cuz Lowell is gonna suck hard this year
Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
remember they have a 1b need because they dealt casey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Freel can play basically anywhere, which is huge. I like this trade, the Reds have to make some kind of move, and you can't deny that their pitching isn't anything special.