Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: $1,000 Live QQ First level

I agree with the flop bet but think fold is clear hear. Also, unless I'm mistaken (since I also played in a $1K live event with $10K chips and 25/50 first level on the same day), another key detail that may affect the hand is that the tournament in question is spread limit and bets and raises can be no more than 2000. That may change how you play the hand. ObBeat: I know that changed how I played my AA versus QJ on a J23r board (w/ 7000 in pot after my flop c/r) when a Q hit on the turn villain give a huge live tell (betting out of turn more than the spread max). I could have saved 4000 if I trusted my read, but I only lost 4000 and not my full stack b/c of the spread limit. ObBrag: I was able to work my 1350 chips 25 minutes into the tournament up to 20K 2 hours into the tournament. ObVariance: I was out 58th when my unexploitable sb 14.5K push with 97s lost to bb's AJo.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:32 AM

There were no caps on betting.

I thought about it for a while, and elected to call based on the guy's statement pre-flop that he "had to call with any 2" and I thought he might be making a play since the pot was so bloated and it'd be incredibly tough for me to call a raise from him. He seemed like a decent enough player that knew what was going on, and obviously knew he had position and I felt he might be trying to exploit it.

My plan was to call here and see what he did on the turn. Much to my surprise, CO calls as well.

Turn: 8x, completing rainbow

My action?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 AM

c/f anyone who puts in a bet has you beat.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c/f anyone who puts in a bet has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay that was my plan when I called the flop for most turn cards.

So I check. And CO checks, and BTN checks.

River is a 6.

Now what? (Pot is ~5.5k)

Check/call a reasonable bet? Thin value bet?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:42 AM

check prob fold to a bet, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them checked a boat cuz they are like ha they are drawing dead.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 AM

I'd bet/fold the flop, definitely fold the turn. C/F the fold isn't terrible either, anytime you raise with a big pair and get 4 or more callers, throwing your cards into the muck on the flop if you don't flop a set is never a bad play, because the likelihood of being ahead at that point is rather low, and it's going to cost you a bundle to play the hand down to showdown.

FWIW, I don't think 200 vs. 150 is going to generate any less callers at this level.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM

Yeh, preflop is actually questionable. Probably open to 250 and probably open like that with most hands you raise. LRR is dangerous for various reasons, but is playable.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 AM

I like the bet/fold line on the flop...once you get to the river I dunno...check call a small bet? maybe catch smaller pocketpair value betting thin? Odd hand all the way through
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM

PSB eliminate some of the field. I know this is the first round but man is that alot of callers. were you seeing alot of callers on previouse hands? If so then yea you should have bet more pre, if not standard raise and [censored] happens.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM

i think the problem with bet folding is that when we bet and get raised we have to fold, and when we bet and get called, we presumably check most turns (except Q turns and some others) for pot control and most opponents will fire with any pair, set, 2 pair, gutterball etc. putting us in a bad spot. i mean sure it seems weak but I really think when we bet we end up getting to showdown with the winning hand, or take it down here like 25% of the time or less.