Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Too passive or easy fold??

Level 3 of .50 Stars MTT ....

I came into this hand looking to flop a flush or draw to one cheaply.. Although I hit TP, I dont like my kicker... I dont know much about raiser... Did I handle this situation right or am too passive??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 (t2415)
CO (t3000)
Button (t3020)
Hero (t2685)
BB (t5155)
UTG (t2215)
UTG+1 (t1375)
MP1 (t1330)
MP2 (t1240)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t250) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t300</font>, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t250
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Too passive or easy fold??

here i think you are too passive.

you got top pair and the nut-flush-draw.

so this is perfect time for a check/push.

button might not even hold an Ace as he tries to steal the pot.

btw this your dream scenario if you play suited aces, depart of flopping the flush (which you will once every 130 hands you play like this). so if you play for flush value you have to bring the chips in now.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Yeah, fold here is horrible.

I'd put button on a weak ace, A2-A10 pretty often, maybe 22, and against that range you are pretty good, and the queen helps you as well (more chance of a tied pot).

So what's the correct play here then? I'm thinking a call is good. This way you don't fold out the aces you beat, and you also might keep some of the guys behind you in the pot.

Play on the turn depends on the action, if a couple of people come along behind me, I'm probably committed even if i dont turn a diamond. If not, and the button pushes, he's probably well ahead of me, and I don't think I have the odds to call. (If he pushes the turn, he's going to be calling a push on the flop I think, so I think this line is actually better)

If he checks the turn and it's headsup, I'm pushing. If theres 3 or more still in, I check and try to see the free card.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what's the correct play here then? I'm thinking a call is good. This way you don't fold out the aces you beat, and you also might keep some of the guys behind you in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling here very much.

As he overbets the pot on the flop you get terrible odds for a call. if you just call it is very likely he sets you on a draw and will refuse any more betting if another diamond hits the turn. if no diamond hits you will most of the times have to fold to a big bet or a push.

This is often a problem of these flush-drawing hands that they don't get the implied odds they need, cause most villains won't bet any further on a board with 3 suits.

So i still think that check/pushing is the best option here, as you hold a very good drawing hand on the flop.

btw i would not count the queens as outs, with a 2 on the board you still hold a very weak kicker, but of course the 3 remaining 6 are outs, if he even holds an ace.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 AM

I donīt think, that Jammy meant the Qs to be outs but that the Q (on the board) helps to reach a split pot (as two further cards higher than Villains kicker, like maybe K, J, T and every 2 will split).
Old 08-23-2007, 05:54 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tp+nfd and quite possibly the best hand and last to act has overbet the pot. What more do you want? It's your birthday!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM

You're a pretty big favorite over most ranges here, so I think its an easy shove. Even if you get called by a bigger ace, you're still a favorite.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Agreed, check/shove. It's not even bad if you're called by more than one opponent given your draw strength.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM

way to passive...lead out...I'm usually willing to play this flop pretty aggressive and may reraise all in if raised
Old 08-23-2007, 12:31 PM

What sort of flop would you want to show strength with..with this hand!!! If i was you I'd be creaming myself over this board

A A 6 ?