Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM

Default slow day

probably not a very interesting hand, but it's slow here at work and there's not much forum traffic, so I'll post it anyways.

live 15-30, 9 handed
UTG+2 is a thinking player with some gamble in him, but he's not gambling right now. He's playing pretty much TAG pre-flop and semi-loose, passive postflop.

MP is playing 90% of his hands pre-flop, for any number of bets. Post-flop, he'll call the flop really light and he'll usually at least see the river with any pair or any draw, unless there is a lot of action in front of him.

Hero's image is pretty tight and straightforward.

Preflop Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 3-bets, MP cold-calls 3, everyone folds to hero, Hero calls.

Flop 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players, 10 SB)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets, MP calls, Hero check-raises, UTG+2 3-bets, MP cold-calls, Hero calls.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players, 11 BB)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets, MP folds, Hero calls.

River T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, 13 BB)
Hero bets...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: slow day

this is a pretty easy fold for aces, but if he can't make it your line is fine.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 PM

I like the bet, but I puke at the thought of having to fold or call. Someone help me out?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the bet, but I puke at the thought of having to fold or call. Someone help me out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno that it matters that much. check/call vs. bet/? makes a big difference depending on how he'll react to a bet and whether he'll bet something like JJ.

that said it's almost impossible for him to bluff raise here.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that said it's almost impossible for him to bluff raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is why I like bet/fold on the river. You'll get crying calls from overpairs and 2-pair hands that won't bet if checked to. And since hands with a Q are likely given the action so far, a raise will always mean a straight and you're dead.

I'm not crazy about the flop play, though. Bet/call might be better than checkraise/call-a-3bet.

One more thought: when I see a player cold-call 3 PF in a live game, JJ is always the hand I put them on and they have to do something really significant post-flop to change my read. This comes from years of seeing people cold-call 3 PF and turn over JJ like 85% of the time.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not crazy about the flop play, though. Bet/call might be better than checkraise/call-a-3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a flop donk too. UTG+2 clearing the field for you with overs would be excellent.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Cap preflop with the loosie in there.

lol@ MP calling off all that flop action than folding for one bet on the turn for a card that should help any drawing hands he might have had.

As played, I guess you have to call the flop since you're getting about 22-1. Your 2-outer isn't terribly clean since there could easily be one of your T's in MP's hand and also because UTG will occasionally have JJ, but on the other hand you do have a 3-straight. I suppose UTG could also have a hand like KQ and be raising as a semi-bluff/ to clean up outs so it's a tough decision about whether to call the turn and then call the river unimproved.

Fortunately you did improve. I'm actually somewhat tempted to check-raise the river because it kinda looks more desperate and bluffy than betting in to him.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually the street I wondered the most about. Normally I'd bet to try to protect my hand here, but I'm not getting raised unless I'm behind and I expect villain to bet with AK/AQs here since it's only 3-handed. I figured that since I can't protect my hand, I should try to maximize value those times that I'm ahead, but paying 3 bets here really does suck.

[ QUOTE ]
One more thought: when I see a player cold-call 3 PF in a live game, JJ is always the hand I put them on and they have to do something really significant post-flop to change my read. This comes from years of seeing people cold-call 3 PF and turn over JJ like 85% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too for a lot of players, but not for this guy. He was literally playing every hand for 20-30 minute stretches, and the way he called the bet it was clear that he didn't care at all whether he was calling 3 or 1.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry I call BS. are these guys folding or 4betting AK?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 PM

i think betting the flop makes this hand fairly straightforward...

i'm not too fond of putting 2 bets in on this river... bet/fold or check/call depending on how well you trust him and how much of a calling station he is...