Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Thinking of moving to New York

Hi,

I need a life change I don't have a lot of cash maybe 5k in my roll but i'm playing a decent amount of poker so i'd probably move in december with about 8k savings (conservatively) say after a plane ticket. I don't even mind working a bad job. Is it easy for people with limited skills (I am 1 subject short of an IT degree but have no motivation to work in that field) to survive in NY. I'm Australian but i'd work in bar, etc are these realistic ambitions?

I just always felt i'd enjoy that city.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Thinking of moving to New York

it's a tough stressful life, but it can be very fun. it's very expensive. if you don't make much money you'll have to live far from the city, which would suck, or live in brooklyn with 3-13 other people.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Just don't expect to live in Manhattan. A studio will generally run you a minimum of $1500. Look in Queens/Brooklyn, but even these places are getting bad. I know someone in Woodbridge, Queens who pays $1000 a month for a studio.

Do you know people in NYC? I think the best description I've ever heard is that it's a city filled with millions of lonely people. So it's definitely a much more enjoyable place if you already know people here.

I think if you found a cheap place, you could definitely pay rent/bills etc on a decent bartender salary. Then again, I have no idea how much bartenders expect to make.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

like otnemem said it's way easier if you know people there.

get a roommate or 2 or 3 for sure, rent will be way cheaper, even if it means living with random people you foudn on craigslist. tons of people in nyc make it as bartenders or waiters or baristas or anything else. esp if you have even $500 or so a month from poker you should be good.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM

I am also moving to NY in october/november. I am planning to live in Hoboken which is right across the Hudson in Jersey (google map, just type "hoboken nj"). Its a lot cleaner than Manhattan and is heavily geared toward the 22-27 crowd. It's about 20 minutes from midtown depending on where you live.

A lot of my friends already live there and I am currently looking for a roomate... I'll send you a PM with my info if you're interested. Prices in hoboken are generally ~1k/mo for a lot of space (way more than say, upper east side of manhattan which is also popular for early/mid 20s) with utilities etc.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:04 PM

To work at most bars in NYC you need some bartending experience... I think you should really plan this out before moving
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To work at most bars in NYC you need some bartending experience... I think you should really plan this out before moving

[/ QUOTE ]

That or know someone which would be tough coming from AU.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also moving to NY in october/november. I am planning to live in Hoboken which is right across the Hudson in Jersey (google map, just type "hoboken nj"). Its a lot cleaner than Manhattan and is heavily geared toward the 22-27 crowd. It's about 20 minutes from midtown depending on where you live.

A lot of my friends already live there and I am currently looking for a roomate... I'll send you a PM with my info if you're interested. Prices in hoboken are generally ~1k/mo for a lot of space (way more than say, upper east side of manhattan which is also popular for early/mid 20s) with utilities etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, you're going to be in for a big surprise.

Let me just clarify, in case you don't know. Hoboken (where I live with my fiancé), is referred to as a fraternity graveyard. I absolutely [censored] hate 90% of the people who live there. It is clean and safe, and door to door to midtown (depending on your address) is about 45 minutes.

$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off. Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap. My fiancé and I pay $1550 for a 1-bed, maybe 600 square feet. That's pretty cheap, considering it's about a ten minute walk to the PATH. If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much. I would look around on craigslist and hobokeni.com before you decide that you're going to find a huge space at a discount price in Hoboken. You also have to be careful on craigslist, because people will list properties that are really in Union City or Jersey City, but they'll call it Hoboken. There's a big difference.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Given your financial situation I would not recommend moving to NYC, even if you live in Jersey or Brooklyn.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, you're going to be in for a big surprise.

Let me just clarify, in case you don't know. Hoboken (where I live with my fiancé), is referred to as a fraternity graveyard. I absolutely [censored] hate 90% of the people who live there. It is clean and safe, and door to door to midtown (depending on your address) is about 45 minutes.

$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off. Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap. My fiancé and I pay $1550 for a 1-bed, maybe 600 square feet. That's pretty cheap, considering it's about a ten minute walk to the PATH. If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much. I would look around on craigslist and hobokeni.com before you decide that you're going to find a huge space at a discount price in Hoboken. You also have to be careful on craigslist, because people will list properties that are really in Union City or Jersey City, but they'll call it Hoboken. There's a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm confused as to what you mean by a 'fraternity graveyard'. Please clarify.

Just a few points where we disagree:

[ QUOTE ]
It is clean and safe, and door to door to midtown (depending on your address) is about 45 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally depedent on where in Hoboken you live and where in Midtown you are going. For example, if you live a block from the Path and are going to Madison Square Garden, you can be there in 15-20 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
$1k per month with lots of space is WAY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Unless you are talking about getting a studio or something, this is simply wrong. I live with 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom place, my room is 200 sq. feet (with a private balcony), and I pay $1000/month. We live in a very attractive part of Hoboken, as well. Granted, we got pretty lucky, but other friends in the area have gotten similar deals, as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Even the area near the projects isn't that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the entire town is being gentrified. The areas around the PJ's are the cheapest for new development, hence these apartments tend to be brand new/refurbished.

[ QUOTE ]
If you live uptown or very far east (closer to the ghetto areas east), you can pay less, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean west. The closer to the river (East), the more expensive your apartment.

[ QUOTE ]
You also have to be careful on craigslist, because people will list properties that are really in Union City or Jersey City, but they'll call it Hoboken. There's a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is a big difference. But, these ads typically say "Near Hoboken" or "Steps from Hoboken", so they are pretty easy to spot.