Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Default It is a long shot!

It is a lnog shot, but I am getting very disturbed about the number of arms deal the US is currently, before the end of Bush term, making, especially, but not exclusively, in the middle-east. Has the Bush administration been all about cozying to the corporations that would benefit from war and international arms sales, regardless of the world safety?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: It is a long shot!

You still think they're about safety huh?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You still think they're about safety huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am not paranoid! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a lnog shot, but I am getting very disturbed about the number of arms deal the US is currently, before the end of Bush term, making, especially, but not exclusively, in the middle-east. Has the Bush administration been all about cozying to the corporations that would benefit from war and international arms sales, regardless of the world safety?

[/ QUOTE ]

The US is #1 in world arms sales. And yet we constantly chide the Russians and French on this issue.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The US is #1 in world arms sales. And yet we constantly chide the Russians and French on this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the US sells to people it thinks will use those weapons in support of US interests overseas. That makes sense to me, since it's generally better to have proxies fight than US soldiers when and if that's possible. Meanwhile, the French and Russians have a habit of selling to people more or less opposed to the US and it's interests. So, since I'm a US citizen, I'd rather see our guys get more and better weapons more often than the other guys. And I can see why the US would have a problem with the French and Russian arms deals.

[ QUOTE ]
Has the Bush administration been all about cozying to the corporations that would benefit from war and international arms sales, regardless of the world safety?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bush Administration has been about "Defending Liberty" ever since 9/11. Bush really believes it. Now, you might think his tactics are bad. And you might think the war is a disaster on many levels. But, you misunderestimate Bush when you ascribe purely mercenary or machiavellian motives to his actions (i.e. "He went to war to steal the oil and enrich his buddies' corporations...").

Bush is a deeply religious man who feels that he was called by God on 9/11 to defend his country against radical Islamists all over the world. He also believes that "free and open democracy" is somehow the best defense againt that extremism, especially in Iraq. Since many here are atheists and ACists, I would suspect that his real motives, as I've described them, are much scarier than thinking that he's in it for the money.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a long shot!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
arms deals

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush really believes it. Now, you might think his tactics are bad. And you might think the war is a disaster on many levels. But, you misunderestimate Bush when you ascribe purely mercenary or machiavellian motives to his actions (i.e. "He went to war to steal the oil and enrich his buddies' corporations...").

Bush is a deeply religious man who feels that he was called by God on 9/11 to defend his country against radical Islamists all over the world. He also believes that "free and open democracy" is somehow the best defense againt that extremism, especially in Iraq. Since many here are atheists and ACists, I would suspect that his real motives, as I've described them, are much scarier than thinking that he's in it for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is the scariest thing about Bush, he really does belief he is doing Gods work. Luckily for us he listens to his closest advisers, who are in it for the money.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush really believes it. Now, you might think his tactics are bad. And you might think the war is a disaster on many levels. But, you misunderestimate Bush when you ascribe purely mercenary or machiavellian motives to his actions (i.e. "He went to war to steal the oil and enrich his buddies' corporations...").

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is the scariest thing about Bush, he really does belief he is doing Gods work. Luckily for us he listens to his closest advisers, who are in it for the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, but so true
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM

That's because the US sells to people it thinks will use those weapons in support of US interests overseas. That makes sense to me, since it's generally better to have proxies fight than US soldiers when and if that's possible.

Saddam Hussein and Osama say hi.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bush Administration has been about "Defending Liberty" ever since 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]
what kind of 'liberty' do you have in your mind? i'd be interested to hear about those achievements in the USA and iraq as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Bush is a deeply religious man who feels that he was called by God...

[/ QUOTE ]
no comment.

[ QUOTE ]
He also believes that "free and open democracy" is somehow the best defense againt that extremism, especially in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should check in dictionary what democracy is about. just a hint:
[/i] democracy: government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.[/i]

while searching around you might find some information like over 90% of iraqis are demanding US forces to leave iraq. would you (or him) support results of referendum (as the highest form of direct democracy) about that issue?
also, you might check what kind of 'democracies' are welcome in that region. democracies? lol.