Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Changing the HORSE event to a \"Dealers Choice\" event?

$50,000 Dealers Choice.
The addition of the $50,000 HORSE tournament has been very successful especially with the professional players but it still doen’t cover all games played at the WSOP. So why not change it to a Dealers choice tournament?
To run the tournament I think you would need a dealers button plus a “game button”. The dealer button would be used as usual, but the “game button” would only move every orbit, and whoever has it decides what game to play (holdem, razz, omaha, etc) for one orbit. Then it would get moved one position and the next player selects a game for the next orbit. I think all the games that are played as events at the WSOP should be included as well, such as 2-7 triple draw and Omaha high. The tables would have to be 8 handed. As players are eliminated at the final table the number of orbits for each game would have to be increased. For example with 5 players left you would play 2 orbits, and with 3 players left you play 3 orbits and 5 orbits heads up.
I think this would attract alot of the top pros and game selection would add a new and interesting dynamitic. For example if Omaha is your best game and you are at a table with Robert Williamson III, Chau Gaing and Mike Matusow, then maybe you would be better off playing 7 Card Stud. Not that these players are a push over in Stud but maybe you would have a better advantage. Or if a very good player becomes short stacked and you know his weakest game is Razz then you could force him to play Razz to try and knock him out.
Unlike the HORSE tournament where you play each game equally (in theory anyway) in a dealers choice tournament you may play some games alot more than others depending on your table. This would truly force the players to know every game very well.

Also why not a:
$5,000 Endurance No Limit Holdem
Top Professional cash game players always tell stories of how they played for 36, 48 or 72 hours straight. Well how about a tournament that starts at 12 noon and runs until there is a winner, with the usual bathroom and dinner breaks, except the longest break would be an hour or 2 only. The structure would be set so the tournament would run for about 24-30 hours and play would continue until there was a winner. Maybe a cap on the number of players would be required.
This tournament would attract alot of pros and cash game players that don’t typically play alot of tournaments. Older players like Doyle and Chip may not be interested but players like Todd Brunson, Daniel Negreanu, and Phil Ivey would probably like it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Changing the HORSE event to a \"Dealers Choice\" event?

How about a $10,000 Go Fish

Or a $5000 Blind Man's Bluff
Old 06-28-2007, 10:03 AM

Cool concept but it wouldn't work.

Every player would choose a community board game every hand so he could utilize his positional advantage.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Change game every hand and winner decides game. Joker inserted into deck. No more than eight (8) possible wildcards. Loser in heads up pots must do shot of sixty (60) proof or higher.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM

I like the endurance idea. After 20 hours, I'm sure the players would be punchy. I would get rid of extended breaks though, opting for eating through play.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool concept but it wouldn't work.

Every player would choose a community board game every hand so he could utilize his positional advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the dealer button would rotate as usual for each orbit (or game selection), so position would change every hand.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think you missed the idea that when it's your choice, you choose the game for a whole ROUND, not just one hand.

At any rate, sounds fun, but too complicated I fear.

Now a REAL dealer's choice tournament where you could choose any weird variant you want (as long as it was limit) would be hysterical.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM

I think you could add a sprint event too:
$10 000 Coin flip (Where you bring in your winnings from previous round until it is one winner)
Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Good luck finding a competent dealer