Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Apparently

fish2plus2,

with all due respect, it's nice that you now, in your second post, actually explain what led you to title your post "is John Edwards a complete retard", since nothing about your post itself actually explained this.

he has a health plan, he says how he's going to pay for it. if you think there are other budgetary concerns more important than healthcare, maybe you ought to give some specifics before calling the guy a "retard", especially since you might want to look elsewhere for those responsible for the current "budget issues"
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Is John Edwards a complete retard?

[ QUOTE ]
Democratic U.S. presidential candidate John Edwards on Sunday said that he would raise taxes, chiefly on the wealthy, to pay for expanded healthcare coverage under a plan costing $90 billion to $120 billion a year to be unveiled on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Picking on the poor oppressed minority wealthy. I think we should immediately start a collection to help those poor rich people out. Who wants to donate to the Save the Wealthy Fund?

Maybe we could raise the cost of a gallon a gas a few cents, and donate the extra money directly to anyone with a net worth over $50 million. I mean a few extra cents at the pump for a fill up, is worth it knowing that no rich people are going hungry at night.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Democratic U.S. presidential candidate John Edwards on Sunday said that he would raise taxes, chiefly on the wealthy, to pay for expanded healthcare coverage under a plan costing $90 billion to $120 billion a year to be unveiled on Monday.

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Picking on the poor oppressed minority wealthy. I think we should immediately start a collection to help those poor rich people out. Who wants to donate to the Save the Wealthy Fund?

Maybe we could raise the cost of a gallon a gas a few cents, and donate the extra money directly to anyone with a net worth over $50 million. I mean a few extra cents at the pump for a fill up, is worth it knowing that no rich people are going hungry at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your definition of "wealthy?"

NCAces
Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM

doesn't matter what you think of health care, to the general electorate, this position is unelectable.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Revenues have reached an all time high under Bush. What more do they want? I don't understand why certain people think it's not enough.

natedogg
Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone ask him about why that much money was needed? Any questions about areas where spending could be cut? Crazy to believe that people think there's no fat to be trimmed from a budget in the trillions. If Edwards states it will be $120 billion you can be certain it's way over that amount, probably at least twice that amount and the rate of spending will certainly increase faster than revenues grow from taxes. He wasn't going to win anyway, he was a terrible choice as a VP candidate and from what I've read he didn't run for a second Senate term because he wasn't favored to beat a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually according to polling he would have easily won a second term.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to at least one noteworthy source not true.

Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball

Larry Sabato

Senator John Edwards (D) is another North Carolina one-term wonder, seriously considered for VP by Al Gore after just two years in office, and now the VP choice of Democratic nominee John Kerry. Having been irrevocably bitten by the presidential bug, Edwards bit the bullet in early September, dropping out of his Senate reelection race to focus completely on his owncampaign for president.

It is just as well. All the national attention, plus his liberal-leaning voting record, hasn't sat well at home. Edwards' ratings in the Tar Heel State are anemic, around the 40% mark.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM

In case you missed it, poster claimed that Edwards said he was raising taxes which I would take to mean that he's wants to increase the highest marginal tax rates. I don't see that in the list of tax cuts that will expire but might have missed it:

When Would the President's Tax Cuts Expire ?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fish2plus2,

with all due respect, it's nice that you now, in your second post, actually explain what led you to title your post "is John Edwards a complete retard", since nothing about your post itself actually explained this.

he has a health plan, he says how he's going to pay for it. if you think there are other budgetary concerns more important than healthcare, maybe you ought to give some specifics before calling the guy a "retard", especially since you might want to look elsewhere for those responsible for the current "budget issues"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well according to this article he doesn't think it's all that important to pay for his health plan.

Edwards Pushing Universal Health Care

Democratic presidential contender John Edwards says it is more important to invest in universal health care and lifting people out of poverty than to reduce the budget deficit.

The 2004 vice presidential nominee said in an interview broadcast Sunday said "there is a tension" between the two directions, but he has made his choice.

"If I were choosing now between which is more important, I think the investments are more important," he said on ABC's "This Week."

Edwards' proposal, which includes tax cuts and a million housing vouchers for the poor, may place him at odds with Democrats in charge of the congressional spending committees.

Now that the Democrats are in control of Congress I don't expect to here the railing against the budget deficit that they've been doing since Bush took office. Look for the Republicans to start railing on that theme now since they're out of power. Same old baloney from the politicians, it never changes.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Revenues have reached an all time high under Bush. What more do they want? I don't understand why certain people think it's not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, are you paid to post inane statements on bulletin boards on behalf of the administration? or are you just trolling?

inflation and population growth cause revenues to go up over time. would you like to give credit to Bush for the sun rising in the morning?
Old 02-05-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone ask him about why that much money was needed? Any questions about areas where spending could be cut? Crazy to believe that people think there's no fat to be trimmed from a budget in the trillions. If Edwards states it will be $120 billion you can be certain it's way over that amount, probably at least twice that amount and the rate of spending will certainly increase faster than revenues grow from taxes. He wasn't going to win anyway, he was a terrible choice as a VP candidate and from what I've read he didn't run for a second Senate term because he wasn't favored to beat a Republican.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually according to polling he would have easily won a second term.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to at least one noteworthy source not true.

Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball

Larry Sabato

Senator John Edwards (D) is another North Carolina one-term wonder, seriously considered for VP by Al Gore after just two years in office, and now the VP choice of Democratic nominee John Kerry. Having been irrevocably bitten by the presidential bug, Edwards bit the bullet in early September, dropping out of his Senate reelection race to focus completely on his owncampaign for president.

It is just as well. All the national attention, plus his liberal-leaning voting record, hasn't sat well at home. Edwards' ratings in the Tar Heel State are anemic, around the 40% mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

The polls showing a close race were taken a year before the election, at a time when Edwards was running in the single digits in the Presidential race.

Polls taken during the actual year of the election, after Edwards had gained national traction, showed him beating Burr by 20 points if he had chosen to get back in the Senate race.