Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: The Well: cts

If you play ABC TAG poker against 70/30/2s, you will win money. There are several winning regulars at say 3/6NL who play a 17/12 ABC game. They take money off of the fish, but are fairly exploitable by the more experienced/aggressive regulars. Bluff-raising, floating, etc are usually plays you would usually make against regulars, but plays like these certainly don't separate the winners from the losers. If a TAG player opens from the SB and you call with 76s in the BB with some sort of knowledge of his hand range/CB frequency/3bet bluff frequency/your image, a bluff raise will be profitable on many flops. Against some 70/30 calling station though, a play like this is obviously pointless. By table selecting well hopefully you'll be playing lots of pots with fish and not so many with TAGs. Hands against fish are usually pretty easy, the ones against tough players are more difficult and that's why you see them in the forums.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 PM

How do you determine that a particular Villain is ripe for floating (assume that because you're multitabling, it's hard to pay close attention to their c-bets)? Are there particular PT stats that help you make such an assessment?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you determine that a particular Villain is ripe for floating (assume that because you're multitabling, it's hard to pay close attention to their c-bets)? Are there particular PT stats that help you make such an assessment?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the whole floating concept is overrated and has gotten out of control with 2+2ers. It's fine to do occasionally but there are some guys who just float every single flop and this is largely exploitable.

Good candidates for floating
*CB a lot
*don't bet the turn a lot
*are straightforward
*are not A-high to the felt calling stations

Also, the floater candidate may be more likely to semibluff or call your turn bet on a drawy board, whereas he may be less inclined to fire a second barrel once you call him on an A72r board, so board texture is important too.

PokerAce has the statistics "CB", "CB Turn", "Checkraise Turn", and "Fold to Turn Bet" so I use these stats.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 PM

cts, whats your opinion/experience on 6max vs fullring at MSNL/HSNL? What I mean is have you played any fullring? How is the games, are there any fish at all or do they go straight to 6max?

Is there a reason to play fullring and not 6max in your opinion?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cts, whats your opinion/experience on 6max vs fullring at MSNL/HSNL? What I mean is have you played any fullring? How is the games, are there any fish at all or do they go straight to 6max?

Is there a reason to play fullring and not 6max in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]
I started out playing 6-max NL and I've been playing it ever since so I don't know how profitable the full ring games are. The only full ring experience I have is with the 25/50 on Party since they don't offer it at 6-max yet, but I find full ring to be kind of boring. It seems much less profitable because it's very hard to isolate the fish. Also, seat selection is more important in full ring for this reason.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM

What kind of things do you do for game selection? I've been working harder on that, and its improved my winrates. But, any of your tricks for finding good tables, or players would be greatly appreciated. I'm playing mostly 1-2$ No limit right now, and dabble in some PLO.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 PM

at a typical 6max table, whats ure typical UTG opening range? I know this is quite a vague question, but maybe you can say the tpes of hands you open and how often. E.G. do you always open all suited aces? What broadways? etc.

Do you ever open limp? If so, when? (6max)

Some non-poker questions:

What 2p2ers have you met?

What sports do you play/watch?

Favourite country/movie/food/music?

live man or dead woman?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM

How many hours a week do you play?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 PM

1) When you were younger, did you participate in clubs/hobbies/activities that may have steered your mind towards an eventual inclination towards poker? (I'm thinking like math competitions, playing magic cards, that kind of thing. Basically, being a nerd.)

2) Do you think that anyone can become a great player (in this context, beat HSNL games consistently), or does it take a certain amount of natural attentuation?

3) What percentage of your close friends play poker at home and at school?

(Also, I'd be glad to jump in this well for a day or two if yall want me to)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 PM

full ring is good to learn on, becuase it teaches a new player that tightness and patient gets the money. It will force you to play a good TAG strategy to win. After you can beat FR, when you go to 6 max you have a good understanding of what hands are most likely to be dominated and so forth. While less profitable, it gives a solid foundation in any new poker players development.