Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

Alomar a coinflip and Larkin a sure thing? I thought you were unbiased and knew about sports? I am a Reds fan too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a rough day? week? Just curious..bc, seriously, you need to find some other way to spend your days that attacking like you do. Grow up..

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I am having a fine week. I just think you are coming off as a bit of a douche.

[ QUOTE ]

Alomar, like it or not, hurt himself with the way he went out and his antics - see spitting. So, while I may agree with you that he should be a lock, I don't think he is - at least at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...you were the first to have what I'm sure you thought was a super-intelligent, hilarious comment to my original answer to the questoin about biggest douchebag. So, in my eyes, you're the real douche bag...I mean, do you get off on that sort of thing? Starting attacks on here?

Again..honestly...take it somewhere else. It's annoying and weird...and you do it way too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are also a [censored] weirdo for thinking you have been attacked so bad.

Where was my "super-intelligent, hilarious comment?" I just started my opinion on the subject. You were the one claiming I "don't know the business" like you are some secret agent. A stupid [censored] question is a stupid [censored] question any way you look at it.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can reasonably estimate you're mediocre at your job. Maybe not in terms of relative to your other, equally bad peers, but in terms of the ideal of a good sports journalist, yes, you're likely mediocre. How can I make such an estimate? "unquestioned leader of the Reds... redefined the shortstop position... spitting incident." These things should be irrelevant in determining someone's Hall of Fame candidacy. You actually think Posada is not remotely close to the HOF? You don't think Bernie Williams should even be a coinflip to make the HOF? You think Larkin's better than Alomar? Come on now, that's all a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough, I never claimed to be anything as far as outstanding or amazing as a writer. In fact, I'll venture to say I was mediocre...and part of the reason I left is because I wanted to be more than I was and knew I probably didn't have it in me.

What I do have, more than you or any of the other 3-4 vultures who can't seem to let this go, is experience. So, when did you write for a major newspaper? When did you cover a college or professional team? When did you ever have to make decisions about what goes in a daily paper or what doesn't?

Give it some thought ... maybe you'll get it. It's not about me...I don't claim to be anything...It's about experience you don't have.

So, yes, I may be coming off strong..but I don't like being attacked, especially about something that you and the others don't have experience or knowledge it.

Seriously...let it go man.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ not even bothering to address my argument on why your opinions suck. Get over yourself. I'm not even "attacking" you about anything that needs experience in teams' locker rooms; I'm questioning your opinions re: HOF standards. Wow, so no one can say anything to you until they have a shiny new journalism degree and make 20K a year at a newspaper in Cincinnati? Go you.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Bronson, I know tonight wasn't the outcome you'd hoped for, but I'm wondering if you could talk to me about the stretch where you gave up four consecutive homers...can you take me though that...that must have been tough to maintain your composure"

More tactful but still a stupid question. Does any reds fan actually want to know the answer to this? He just gave up 4 bombs -congrats on not giving up 5.

SO how did you approach Larkin-

"Barry, I know tonight wasn't the outcome you'd hoped for, but I'm wondering if you could talk to me about the stretch of 200 abs without a grandslam...can you take me though that...that must have been tough to maintain your composure after walking back to the dugout leaving the winning run on second knowing that a streak noone gives a [censored] about continues"

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an answer to your question from myself, a journalist, that the OP won't take the time to offer because he's so thin-skinned his keyboard is drenched in blood.
You would be surprised the answers you will get from what seems like a obvious question. We have a saying in journalism: if your mother says she loves you, check it out.
Your first question had two elements that a journalist shouldn't insert:
1) I know tonight wasn't the outcome you'd hoped for (you're already leading the answer a certain way)
2) that must have been tough to maintain your composure
Don't assume anything like #1 and #2. Who knows, maybe the outcome they were hoping for was to not get beat by 30. And if the athlete's exact quote is, "It wasn't the outcome I was hoping for, and it was tough to maintain my composure," whose quote is that, really? Let him put it in his own words, and don't assume anything.
Talk to me about the stretch of x# of ABs without a grand slam is more down the middle, although it bothers some people. One radio guy once said to Bob Knight, coach tell me about your next opponent, and Knight said, is that an order?

If you ever see Brian Lamb on C-SPAN, or any C-SPAN anchor, but Lamb especially, he gives a perfect example of how to ask your questions without bias.

Your post also brings up a good point, that being these alleged records for futility. Pres. Kennedy was once asked why he always read the sports pages first. He said, because somebody always wins. Sports journalists used to chronicle success; it's why we remember records for home runs and not strikeouts, wins and not losses. At some point, journalism started to chronicle failure. The average person cares more about records of accomplishment, the record for most grand slams, and not the record for most at bats without a grand slam.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Murph,
Which of the following should make the baseball HOF. Scale of 1-10. 1= Absolutely no way 5= Coinflip 10= If he doesn't get in I will burn down Cooperstown.
Bernie Williams
Jorge Posada
Barry Larkin
Roberto Alomar

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie Williams - 3
Jorge Posada - 1
Barry Larkin - 10
Roberto Alomar - 5

[/ QUOTE ]

lol if there was any doubt you were clueless about baseball this eliminated it

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moron...one need only look at your avatar and your past ignorance on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really don't understand baseball if you truely think Posada should have absolutely no chance at making the HoF

Bernie Williams is also well underrated

and well Alomar is clearly a 10
Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Murph, I know this thread didn't have the the outcome you'd hoped for, but I'm wondering if you could talk to me about the stretch where you acted condescending towards everyone and took every insult personally...that must have been tough to maintain your composure.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 PM

hahahahaha
Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 PM

When I clicked on this thread I was looking forward to getting some good inside sports stuff that we wouldn't otherwise have access to.

But instead OOT turned the thing into a giant pissing contest. So the guy asked Barry Larkin a dumb question. Big deal. Sportswriters on occasion do that.

Shame on me for expecting more from OOT as long as I've been around this forum.

FWIW Murph I enjoyed the answers to the questions you gave before the thread turned into WWIII.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Toro,

He re-affirmed everyone's preconceived notions that sportswriters are arrogant, condescending, asshats who actually know very little about sports.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I clicked on this thread I was looking forward to getting some good inside sports stuff that we wouldn't otherwise have access to.

But instead OOT turned the thing into a giant pissing contest. So the guy asked Barry Larkin a dumb question. Big deal. Sportswriters on occasion do that.

Shame on me for expecting more from OOT as long as I've been around this forum.

FWIW Murph I enjoyed the answers to the questions you gave before the thread turned into WWIII.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Did you actually read the whole thing? This guy turned it into a flame war on his own.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Second response to his OP was:

"do you suck like most sports writers?"

He started the flame war?