Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Townsend auctions off rugby trophies in effort to raise funds

[ QUOTE ]
Or is this seriously a crusade to control pop-culture language usage based on your own insecurities? Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I would I could. But I can't because Urban Dictionary got in that space first.

My point is not that people should stop using "donkament".

My point is that the pattern of discounting the results of a tournament because it is supposedly a "donkament" is misguided.

As I pointed out above, there is a specific player style of "purposeful lunacy" deployed in the early levels which looks very much like donk play. It would be a wrong strategy in a tournament with very few donks, but it can be right in a "donkament". And probably there are tighter skillful players who look to take advantage of those skillful players gambling it up early. So, who's the donk ?

If you really think the WSOP ME or the Stars Sunday Million or the FTOPS ME are just like a $8.80, fine, call them all "donkaments". But if you don't think that way, then please make the distinction.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM

you keep changing the title for more attention? sklansky, now something about townsend?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Skalnsky\'s system said it was, relied upon early capital accumulat

BustedRomo,

People say Lol Donkaments to make light of their frustration of losing in tournaments, usually in hands they consider to be horribly played by their opponents or in tournaments in which they consider themselves to be far better than the field. When I won the stars sunday tourney 2 years ago in a field of 2500, it lasted slightly less than 600 hands. The amount of variance in 600 hands is phenomenal. You can conjure yourself to be as skilled as you want, you're still running into sick variance. When I get poker stats on players in my limit cash games, by 600 hands I usually have a good idea of how the player plays. However, their winrates are close to random. "this guy should be a winning player. However he's down 65 bets.... Meh?"

Are there skills that make good tournament players? Of course. Colson10 comes to mind as a player who plays almost exclusively MTTs and makes more than I do playing cash games. However, I'm sure he would be glad to tell you about the variance and oft-rewarded stupidity of his opponents - or even how a good player might be continually rewarded by the donks and thusly beat all the other good players.

We say "lol donkaments" because in any given tourney luck is the deciding factor, not skill, and this is ALWAYS frustrating. We also say it to remind those who have had a string of success at tourneys that what they are doing is a statistical abberation, though not outside expected results, and that they are not the second coming of Stuey Unger.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or is this seriously a crusade to control pop-culture language usage based on your own insecurities? Seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I would I could. But I can't because Urban Dictionary got in that space first.

My point is not that people should stop using "donkament".

My point is that the pattern of discounting the results of a tournament because it is supposedly a "donkament" is misguided.

As I pointed out above, there is a specific player style of "purposeful lunacy" deployed in the early levels which looks very much like donk play. It would be a wrong strategy in a tournament with very few donks, but it can be right in a "donkament". And probably there are tighter skillful players who look to take advantage of those skillful players gambling it up early. So, who's the donk ?

If you really think the WSOP ME or the Stars Sunday Million or the FTOPS ME are just like a $8.80, fine, call them all "donkaments". But if you don't think that way, then please make the distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

tl(winded);dr

OP, Do you you really think the last 2 ME winners even have average poker skill? I'm being serious.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM

I think OP is actually debating his err...hmm...well, stance, with someone or multiple people, I dunno.

I don't read that, though.

I'm here for the witty insults.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 PM

more fun stuff

Urban Dictionary

3. donkey
A bad poker player who doesn't actually know how bad he is.
That donkey just dropped 40k in less than 2 hours at the No Limit table!

1. donk
n. A bad poker player.
He called a raise with 74 offsuit? What a donk!

1. donkey bet
Going allin when you have 1500 chips and the blinds are still at 10/20
It's the first hand of a $1 tournament, and one of the players has a great hand, like ace-ten offsuit, so he immediately donkey bets all his chips all in.

1. donkbet
n. In poker, a bet made when first to act on a given street, after having checked and called the preceding street(s). Formerly "gaybet", before that "bet-from-nowhere&qu ot;.

v. the act of making a donkbet
My donkbet on 6th street was meant to represent the flush I had showing.

I donkbet the river with my weak hand, to avoid giving a free showdown.

2. Donkalicious
a. A play or player in poker that is totally rediculous yet usually benefits other players at the table.

b. A hip brand of poker apparel.
I can't believe he called with bottom pair when it was obvious the other guy had the flush, wow that was donkalicious.

2. donkament
A derogatory or humorous term for a poker tournament with bad players. Derived from donkey or donk (a bad poker player). Similar to donkfest.
I played in a donkament last night where people were reraising with king jack.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME is not a donkament

[ QUOTE ]
If a level: too long
If not a level: LOL @ OP

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BustedRomo,

People say Lol Donkaments to make light of their frustration of losing in tournaments, usually in hands they consider to be horribly played by their opponents or in tournaments in which they consider themselves to be far better than the field. When I won the stars sunday tourney 2 years ago in a field of 2500, it lasted slightly less than 600 hands. The amount of variance in 600 hands is phenomenal. You can conjure yourself to be as skilled as you want, you're still running into sick variance. When I get poker stats on players in my limit cash games, by 600 hands I usually have a good idea of how the player plays. However, their winrates are close to random. "this guy should be a winning player. However he's down 65 bets.... Meh?"

Are there skills that make good tournament players? Of course. Colson10 comes to mind as a player who plays almost exclusively MTTs and makes more than I do playing cash games. However, I'm sure he would be glad to tell you about the variance and oft-rewarded stupidity of his opponents - or even how a good player might be continually rewarded by the donks and thusly beat all the other good players.

We say "lol donkaments" because in any given tourney luck is the deciding factor, not skill, and this is ALWAYS frustrating. We also say it to remind those who have had a string of success at tourneys that what they are doing is a statistical abberation, though not outside expected results, and that they are not the second coming of Stuey Unger.

[/ QUOTE ]

that says it all WINNER!!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When somebody makes a lousy post, which this OP sure is, let's all try and find more creative ways to inform him of that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you just delete the thread and ban the troll instead?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The idea that, without any other information, the results of a tournament mean anything whatsoever is misguided.